Wellness > Mental Health

Seasonal Affective Disorder: How to Care for Yourself as Fall Begins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Disclaimer: I am not a mental health expert– this article is meant to provide small, at-home ways to help combat the beginning stages of seasonal affective disorder (SAD). If you feel that you are suffering from SAD or any sort of depression in a way that feels overwhelming and past the point of self help– I have listed mental health resources at the bottom of this article.

For many, the transition from summer to fall is a welcomed one. We’ve got Halloween and Thanksgiving and cozy jackets and cups of tea. Though it’s adored by many, the debate over each season’s superiority is a never-ending battle. For every fall lover, there’s a friend who desperately misses camping and tanning and their swimsuit. Though, what often falls between the cracks of this lighthearted summer versus fall debate are those who genuinely struggle with the transition; the 1 in 20 adults who suffer from seasonal affective disorder.

The American Psychiatric Association defines seasonal affective disorder as “a form of depression also known as SAD, seasonal depression or winter depression.” While “winter blues” (aka feeling a little down as the days get shorter and colder) is quite common among adults– SAD is the larger, more overwhelming version of this that is viewed medically as a form of depression, as the seasons can often affect our chemical production of serotonin

Some common symptoms of SAD include sleeping excessively, a change in appetite, feeling lonely and upset as well as a general loss of interest in activities you often enjoy in spring and summer. Most other general depression symptoms are also associated with SAD.

While light therapy, talk therapy, and antidepressants are some ways to combat seasonal affective disorder– I wanted to highlight a few at-home ways to deal with your SAD before winter kicks in. Of course, these are not a replacement for therapy and medication; if you feel you are struggling, please speak with a professional. Rather, these are little things you can implement in your fall routine to feel a little better and more prepared to cope with the difficulties the season change may bring.

Prepare Yourself

As I mentioned above, seasonal depression won’t usually kick in at its fullest until winter– and if you are aware of these mood changes in yourself during the winter months, you can get a head start in the fall by being prepared.

Allow yourself to acknowledge that these months will be hard. Let friends and family close to you know about these feelings and thoughts you may have. Join a club or social group that will give you something to do during this time. Speak with your doctor if you feel professional help would be beneficial; don’t wait until you already feel sad or lonely. 

With seasonal affective disorder, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And by preparing and acknowledging what you’re going to go through– you’ll feel a lot less lost and alone when it sets in.

Have a Schedule 

As college students, this part could be the easiest. In winter, we experience a shift in our biological clock which pulls us away from our daily schedule and often causes us to want to sleep more hours in the day. By having a defined schedule, we have a reason and need to get up at a certain time (which prevents us from sleeping too long) and a schedule can often be comforting in times when you feel lonely.

Remember, a schedule can be more than just school or work! Add in something fun during the week, like a scheduled club or discount movie night on Tuesdays here in Boulder!

Keep Active

Harvard Health states “exercise is as effective as antidepressants in some cases”, so why not give it a try this winter? While it may get too cold outside at certain points to go for a run, full-time CU Boulder students have access to the Rec Center which is full of all sorts of equipment to get your body moving. If you can’t make it to the Rec, YouTube has a home workout video for every exercise you could imagine (Lilly Sabri is a personal favourite workout YouTuber of mine!)

Create a Brighter Environment 

Hopefully you live in a space with at least one source of natural light, and make the most of it! Consider moving your desk closer to the window, or at least keep the blinds open when possible. Fortunately, Colorado tends to have unobstructed sunshine most days in the winter– and taking advantage of this natural source of Vitamin D can make a world of difference.

john mark smith P6uqpNyXcI4 unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Seek Professional Help

In the end, seasonal affective disorder could be too overwhelming to deal with with only home remedies. They’ll ease it and help you cope, but professional help is always available and I encourage you to seek it if necessary. These winter months can be isolating, and finding somebody to talk to about these feelings will always prove beneficial.

Here’s a few places to start: 

CU Boulder CAPS 24 Hour Support: 303-492-2277 

Colorado Crisis Services 24 Hour Support: 844-493-8255 or text TALK to 38255

SAMHSA National Hotline: 1-800-487-4889

Orla McGrath

CU Boulder '24

Orla McGrath is a sophomore at CU Boulder majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. When she's not writing, she loves reading, coffee shops and exploring the outdoors in Colorado!