Schedule Everything to Be More Productive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Do you ever just look at the clock and wonder where the day went?

New year, new inspiration. Yep, it’s another typical beginning of the year inspiration because yes this will be the year we get organized and reach all our goals. So we say…

In all seriousness, SCHEDULE EVERYTHING! Make a list of what you plan to do each day. Create a routine! 2020 was terrible. Motivation was nonexistent. I found that the more things I had to do, the more productive I became because I have no choice, but to do that thing at the scheduled time. 

This year, I wanted to create a more sustainable routine- something that balances out health, better grades, and fun with friends. Seems simple and typical, but last year I was inconsistent with working out, barely ate because I was too lazy to cook, procrastinated on homework all the time because I was addicted to my phone (oi TikTok what have you done), and hardly made time for friends or even my roommates. I just felt like a blob, I could barely meet the bare minimum of anything.  

This is my routine during the weekdays that works for me (unpopular norm I’m a morning person):

• 6-6:45          Wake up and workout

• 6:45-7:45     Breakfast and get ready for the day

• 8-9               Work meeting

• 9-11             Homework

• 11-12:30      Class

• 12:30-1       Lunch

• 2-4              Class

• 4-6              Homework

• 6-7              Dinner

• 7-10           Do whatever I want

You don’t realize how much time you have until you break it all down. By doing so, I am able to build in time to actually eat in regular increments, work out, do homework, and be able to have time at night to hang out with friends. I’ve gotten to hang out with my roommates and boyfriend so much more this semester because I did my work all during the day, so I’m not stuck making excuses that “I have so much work to do.” I’m busier, yet I have more time. How bizarre. Thank you, procrastination.

I found I thrive on routine and consistency. I’ve felt so much happier once I found my routine. I have cues now that lead me through the day. A routine helps me schedule the most important things that are easily forgotten, especially as a young adult that just moved out for the first time. Adulting is a confusing thing to learn. 

Cheers to a new year and living life… with a schedule in hand.

Tracy Huynh

CU Boulder '23

Tracy is a sophomore at the Leeds School of Business. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching Netflix and going shopping. If she is not studying, she can be found with a fuzzy blanket and fuzzy socks in bed or in the home decor section of any store daydreaming.
Sko Buffs!