This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Every year, Shake Shack unleashes three seasonal milkshakes just in time for the holidays. This year, they brought back a fan favorite: the Christmas Cookie Shake. As I’m already a sucker for their chocolate and salted caramel shakes, I knew their other creations couldn’t be half bad. After my family and I found ourselves eating at Shake Shack for the second time this week, I decided I couldn’t contain my curiosity any longer and dove head first into trying this shake.

The Decision

The three holiday-flavored milkshakes Shake Shack unveiled this year are Chocolate Peppermint, Christmas Cookie, and White Mocha. The Christmas Cookie one definitely caught my eye, but what solidified my decision was remembering how intensely flavored Shake Shack shakes are. I wasn’t particularly craving mint or coffee, and Christmas Cookie sounded like it could be good without being overpowering. After deciding upon this flavor, I ordered it along with my single Shackburger (no tomato, please) and side of fries.

The Taste

To be honest, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect from this shake. However, after one sip I knew exactly what they were going for with this one. The shake tastes exactly like sugar cookie dough. Duh! I thought. Why had I not seen that coming? The consistency of the shake was also extremely thick. As in, you’re going to have to let it melt a little before trying to drink it.

The whipped cream was definitely piled high on this one. While this was fun at first, it became a bit annoying as it began to melt and slide off the sides of the cup. The sugar cookie crumbled on top also wasn’t very noticeable (a bit disappointing as this shake really made me crave a real sugar cookie). One thing I realized was that the more the shake melted, the less it tasted like sugar cookie dough and the more it tasted like their regular vanilla custard. On the plus side, if you’re a fan of dipping your fries in your milkshake this shake definitely delivers.

The Verdict

Would I order this again? Yes, but probably not until next year. Would I recommend this flavor? Absolutely! While I don’t think this shake quite compares to Shake Shack’s original flavors, it’s definitely worth a try. The main reason I wouldn’t order it again this season is that it really does taste like your downing globs of sugar cookie dough. Even after it started to melt it has an extremely distinct flavor that became a bit overwhelming. Maybe if I was sharing with someone else or was seriously craving sugar cookies, I would give it another shot. But for now, I’m perfectly happy ordering off the regular menu until next holiday season.

Hi! My name is Sierra Speegle and I'm currently studying Public Relations as a sophomore at CU Boulder. When I'm not writing articles for Her Campus, I can be found cheering on the Buffs, skiing, searching for the best breakfast tacos, or running along the Boulder Creek trail. In addition to being a member of Her Campus CU, I'm involved in the Public Relations Student Society of America and serve as the Panhellenic Delegate for my sorority. Check out my page for articles on food, product reviews, career advice, and everything in between!
Sko Buffs!