woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

Reflecting on the First Half of my College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I made it– as of now, I am halfway towards my goal of graduating from CU with my BA in Sociology. It came faster than I thought it would, having crammed as much as I could in so far in order to graduate in just 3 short years. Now that I’m here, though, I can’t help wondering.

Am I missing out?

There are so many who describe their college years as the best times of their lives. This is the time to venture out into the unknown, to really get to know what kind of a person you are and what kind of a person you want to be. This is the time to take that long-awaited trip to Europe, to go cross country with your friends or enroll in as many quirky classes as your young heart may desire.

Image from Pinterest.

By graduating in 3 years, it sometimes feels like I’m skipping out on the big-ticket experiences that make college such a memorable time.

In these moments, it’s really important– and sometimes really difficult– to remember that life doesn’t end when you get your diploma. While some of these experiences, like the parties and the traveling and the sororities, are quintessential to some people, it doesn’t have to be for me. And that’s okay.

Image from Pinterest.

It’s important to prioritize what is important to you and you alone. Society’s timeline is not a universal fit; I know some people who have known what they want to do since they were 5 years old, and I know some equally wonderful and amazing people who are still figuring it out into their 30’s and beyond. Just because you run on a different schedule or are fulfilled by different things does not make you any lesser– or, any better, for that matter– of a person. Maybe that’s just you.

Of course, I am sad that I may not get to take that semester abroad in Prague, or that I maybe can’t take as many art classes as I may have hoped when I first set out as a new student. I will always cherish the good times this experience has and will bring me, and I feel strongly that even if I spent 10 years here, I would still miss something in the end.

Image from Pinterest.

However, I know now that I am where I want to be. I am on a path to a job that I know I will love, even if I haven’t exactly hammered out the details. I have found amazing friends, some like-minded and others going down completely different roads, that I am excited to spend the last 1 ½ years with and that I know won’t disappear into the void once I walk across that stage in my cap and gown. And I am beginning a life that, even though it’s scary and crazy and a little tough at times, is everything I want for myself.

Image from Pinterest.

If you are stressing about missing out, don’t. I know, easier said than done. Your path is unique to you; with that, you should never feel bad that it isn’t the stereotypical route. Be confident in the choices you make, even if they don’t always work out perfectly. And enjoy every second without being afraid of the next.

Lydia Stalcup

CU Boulder '20

Lydia is a former Collaborations Manager for Her Campus @ CU Boulder. She is currently pursuing her BA in Sociology with a minor in Political Science and is usually stressing over her research. If she's not at her desk, you can almost always find her wandering around Boulder or snuggling with her cat, Kiwi.
Sko Buffs!