Reasons Why Yvie Oddly is the Best Drag Queen to Come Out of Drag Race

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I originally thought that “RuPaul’s Drag Race” was supposed to be like any other television show with mind-numbing drama and cheap entertainment. However, the show has made my quarantine go from miserable to the best thing that’s ever happened to me. The queens compete to become America’s Next Drag Superstar by showcasing their humor, looks, and talents. Season 13 has been airing recently but I can’t help to think that Season 11’s Yvie’s going to be the best queen to come out of the show.

She’s creative.

Yvie Oddly is the most creative person to have walked on the main stage of “Rupaul’s Drag Race”. This was one of her looks that she auditioned with and no drag queen on the planet has made an outfit similar to this. She combines weirdness and high fashion. What’s not to love?

She’s open about her disability.

Yvie Oddly has Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, which means that she has overly flexible joints and elastic skin. This causes her a lot of pain. The fact that she’s open about her disability empowers all of her viewers who might have disabilities themselves.

“I don’t produce a whole lot of collagen, so I have extra skin everywhere…. but it’s not going to hold me back in this competition!” – Yvie Oddly

She says it like it is.

The drama between Yvie Oddly and Silky Nutmeg Ganache may have been one of the most memorable events of Season 11. I’m on Team Yvie though because she just tells people what she thinks without being too harsh. And I don’t think it’s a bad thing!

She’s funny.

She slayed every comedy challenge except for “Snatch Game”. And that’s not easy! I love listening to her talk in interviews and on social media.

Her laugh is incredible.

HUEHUEHUEHUE

She talks about classism and racism in the drag community.

Yvie explains that, “when I made it on [Drag Race] I was a VERY poor Black queen living in Denver with nearly 0 connections to the drag world at large, but I spent thousands of dollars and world my hardest to make my artwork.” When her critics said that she didn’t look polished enough after winning the season, she clapped back with, “if you refused to see the ideals behind my choices then it’s because you operate from a place of privilege where fashion and drag don’t have to speak to your life circumstances, especially not socioeconomically,”

She’s from Colorado.

HCCU approved.

This is why Yvie Oddly is obviously the BEST Drag Superstar to ever come from “Drag Race”.

Maya Douglas

CU Boulder '22

Maya is a senior at CU Boulder studying computer science and philosophy. In her free time, you'll find her listening to music on campus or going out with her friends.
Sko Buffs!