Ranking Every Song on “Red (Taylor’s Version)”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

After months of waiting, Taylor Swift released her re-recording of her fourth studio album “Red.” This new album, titled “Red (Taylor’s Version),” quickly topped the charts with all the songs we used to love in 2012 plus nine new songs “From the Vault.” Ranking all 30 of the songs on this album was probably the hardest thing I’ve done in my life, but I’ve finally come up with a ranking I think best encapsulates my least liked to most liked songs. But knowing me, any of these rankings could change at a moment’s notice.

Not Ranking: “Ronan”

I will start by saying that I chose not to rank this song because of the story behind it. This song was written about a 3-year-old boy who died of cancer and was co-written by the boy’s mother. It was first released in 2012 as a charity single and now has found its home on “Red (Taylor’s Version).” This song is beautifully written and means so much more than a ranking on a list. I encourage you to look into the story behind this song to appreciate it a bit more.

29. “Better Man”

I’m starting this list off with a pretty controversial opinion. This song was originally sung by the country group Little Big Town but was written by Taylor Swift. Maybe it’s just because I’m not the biggest country fan, but this song is just not memorable to me. And when this song comes up on my playlist, I find myself skipping every time…sorry. 

Favorite Lyric: “And I gave you my best and we both know you can’t say that.”

28. “Run” (feat. Ed Sheeran)

As you will see later in this list, I love Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift together. But for me, the chorus of this song fell flat. I love the rhyming in the lines leading up to the chorus that builds up a sense of adventure, but then when the chorus finally hits, I’m underwhelmed.

Favorite lyric: “And the note from the locket, you keep it in your pocket since I gave it to you.”

27. “Girl at Home”

I like this song, I do, but it just couldn’t be justified if I put it above most of the songs on this album. But, I really love what she did on this track for “Taylor’s Version,” adding a new instrumental background, giving it a new electro-pop vibe. I never thought I would be absolutely busting a move to this song, but when I first heard the new version I was up and dancing. Despite these new additions, I still found the lyrics to be a bit clunky at times.

Favorite Lyric: “Call a cab, lose my number, you’re about to lose your girl.”

26. “Babe”

Swift first gave this song to Sugarland in 2018 but decided to put it on this album labeling it as “From the Vault.”  Despite being a very catchy song, I just don’t find myself loving it the way I do the other songs on this album.

Favorite Lyric: “What about your promises, promises?”

25. “Stay Stay Stay”

This song gets a lot of hate and I don’t think it deserves that. Yes, the lyrics aren’t that deep or poetic, but it’s just supposed to be a fun song. With all of the sad songs already on this album, I’m glad Taylor got to have at least one song where you can smile while singing all the words. But unfortunately, I am a fiend for sad songs, so that’s why it’s lower on my list.

Favorite Lyric: “No one else is gonna love me when I get mad, mad, mad.”

24. “I Bet You Think About Me” (feat. Chris Stapleton)

This song definitely showcases Taylor’s country roots, but unfortunately, I am not a diehard country fan, so that’s why this one ranks low for me. I will say the music video that recently came out had this song growing on me–the outfit choices were sheer perfection, and I think it’s a safe bet that her exes do think about her. 

Favorite Lyric: “I bet you think about me when you say ‘oh my god, she’s insane, she wrote a song about me.’”

23. “Starlight”

This is another one of those songs that’s simply just fun. This cliché love song puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it. With hints of country undertones, this song tells the story of a playful love and all of its magical moments.

Favorite Lyric: “Don’t you see the starlight, starlight, don’t you dream impossible things?”

22. “22”

This song may not have the most complex lyrics ever, but it’s about being carefree and having fun with friends, which I think is amazing. I love this song, and I will be blasting it when I turn 22, but it just is not as good as other songs on this album. 

Favorite Lyric: “We ditch the whole scene and end up dreamin’ instead of sleeping.”

21. “The Lucky One”

In this song, Taylor sings of a pop star who went off the grid after the pressures and downsides of fame. This is not relatable for most of us, but I think it gives the audience a new perspective of the struggle that comes with fame. One thing that Taylor kept from her country roots was her ability to tell stories through songs, and this is a great example of that. 

Favorite Lyric: “And they tell you that you’re lucky but you’re so confused, ‘cause you don’t feel pretty, you just feel used.”

20. “I Almost Do”

One of the reasons I love this song is that I think we can all relate to it. Haven’t we’ve all been there, where we want to reach out to someone but know it’s better if we just don’t? Thank you, Taylor, for putting it into words for us. 

Favorite Lyric: “And I hope you know that every time I don’t, I almost do.”

19. “Holy Ground”

This song, like many of Taylor’s songs, is about a relationship that ended. But this one is different because although it ended, it’s about the moments of reflection that come after it. It’s almost about accepting that it’s over, but realizing that there were still good moments that came out of it. There is nothing bad to say about this song, it’s just not one of my personal favorites. 

Favorite Lyric: “And darling it was good.”

18. “State of Grace” (Acoustic Version) 

This song may not have absolutely needed an acoustic version, but it sure does work in this album. The sounds of just the guitar and Taylor’s vocals make this song so much more intimate and real. The only downside is that it doesn’t have the same catchy beat as the original version of this song.

Favorite Lyric: Just twin fire signs, four blue eyes.”

17. “The Very First Night” 

I don’t have much to say on this “From the Vault” song. I like the upbeat tune and the playful lyrics that illustrate wanting to go back to when a love was brand new. This is a solid song that fits perfectly on the album.

Favorite Lyric: Not tryin’ to fall in love, but we did like children runnin’.”

16. “Message in a Bottle”  

This new “From The Vault” song screams 2012, and my inner child is loving it. Its upbeat chorus always finds a way to get stuck in my head and, to be honest, I’m okay with that. If this song was released back when the album first came out, I could easily see this topping the charts.

Favorite Lyric: “Message in a bottle is all I can do, standin’ here hopin’ it gets to you.”

15. “Sad Beautiful Tragic”

This song is simultaneously sad, beautiful, and tragic, so it’s perfectly titled. This song tells the story of a love that had to come to an end but was still beautiful throughout its lifetime. It’s a hard lesson that we have to learn: even the most beautiful things can come to an end. 

Favorite Lyric: “Kiss me, try to fix it, could you just try to listen?” 

14. “State of Grace”

I feel like this might be a bit surprising that this one isn’t higher, but it doesn’t jump out to me as one of my favorites on this album. Don’t get me wrong, I love the meaning behind it–that love can go in many different directions. I also think the bridge, when she finally says the title in the song, is just a poetic way to exemplify what a state of grace feels like. But to me, it just doesn’t make the top thirteen (Swift’s lucky number, of course).

Favorite Lyric: “So you were never a saint, and I’ve loved in shades of wrong.”

13. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”

This song was the first single to drop for this album, and I can still remember watching the music video for it, singing along with my elementary school friends. Nostalgia is the reason this takes spot number thirteen. This is the definition of 2012 pop perfection. 

Favorite Lyric: “You would hide away and find your peace of mind with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine.”

12. “The Moment I Knew”

I’ll be honest, this song was very low on my list before Taylor’s Version came out. I thought it was a little cheesy and some of the lines didn’t have much depth. But something changed when I heard 2021 Taylor singing this song. I thought the maturity in her voice added a new sense of angst and anger to it which made me just want to belt along to this song with the same emotion– imagine not showing up to Taylor Swift’s 21st birthday party!

Favorite Lyric: “And they’re all standing around me singing ‘happy birthday to you.’”

11. “Red”

As the title track, I think this song serves its purpose of setting the whole tone for the album. One thing I love about this song is how it is referenced in the song “Daylight” from her later album “Lover” in the lyric: “I once believed love would be burning red.” With the maturity in her voice, I really feel the reflection in this song. Also, this song is practically how I learned what metaphors and similes are.  

Favorite lyric: Faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly.”

10. “Forever Winter”

This “From the Vault” song is so underrated. When I first listened to it, I was hooked by the catchy melody and the meaningful lyrics. The horns in the instrumental highlight the pleading in the vocals and the somber, yet sweet, tones of the words. 

Favorite Lyric: “I’ll be summer sun for you forever.”

9. “I Knew You Were Trouble”

You would be lying if you said this song didn’t have a grasp on you in 2012. I know that my fifth-grade self ate up this song and all of the screaming-goat remixes that came along with it. So when “Taylor’s Version” came out, the feeling of nostalgia flooded back to me and reminded me why I loved this song so much in the first place. 

Favorite Lyric: “I knew you were trouble when you walked in, so shame on me now.” 

8. “Treacherous”

This song is a work of art. The lyrics remind me of something that could easily be off of her album “Folklore” with its amazing imagery and detail. This song proves that Swift is really just a walking thesaurus and can write amazing beautiful and innocent love songs.

Favorite lyric: “And all we are is skin and bone trained to get along, forever going with the flow, but you’re friction.”

7. “Nothing New” (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)

The first time I listened to this song, I had to lay down and re-evaluate my whole existence. This song completely broke me in the best way possible. The lyrics are gut-wrenchingly heartbreaking and truly make me long for the blissful ignorance of youth.  

Favorite lyric: “How can a person know everything at 18, but nothing at 22?” 

6. “Come Back… Be Here”

I didn’t listen to this song that much when Red first came out, but when I started listening to “Taylor’s Version,” I couldn’t stop playing this song. Singing about long-distance love, Taylor captures the feeling of longing for someone in four simple words. Every time this song comes on, I find myself screaming these lyrics to my imaginary long-distance boyfriend. 

Favorite lyric: “But in my mind, I play it back, spinning faster than the plane that took you.”

5. “Everything Has Changed” (feat. Ed Sheeran)

I know that there is a lot of Ed Sheeran slander on the internet, and I’m not exactly sure why because I think his part in this song is amazing. It is literally one of the sweetest love songs and can be applied to platonic love, too. And not to mention the music video is absolutely adorable. 

Favorite lyric: “I just wanna know you better, know you better, know you better now.”

4. “All Too Well”

It’s no secret that this song is amazingly iconic. This is arguably one of the best songs on the album, but because of the addition of the ten-minute version of this song, I had to bump it down a few songs. Keep reading for my full opinion on this song.

Favorite Lyric: “You call me up again just to break me like a promise.”

3. “Begin Again”

Illustrating the story of newfound hope in a time of darkness, this song breathes light into this album. There are a lot of people out there, including myself, who sometimes struggle to find hope in changing times, but this song illustrates that there can always be new beginnings.

Favorite Lyric: “But on a Wednesday in a cafe, I watched it begin again.” 

2. “The Last Time” (feat. Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol)

This song is so severely underrated. From the first time I heard this song, I instantly loved it. The melody? Beautiful. The harmonies? Beautiful. The lyrics? Beautiful. Everything about this song is beautiful. This heartbreaking song paints the picture of the final moments of a relationship, with one begging the other to stay. If this song doesn’t make your heart absolutely fall out of your chest, there may be something wrong with you. 

Favorite Lyric: “I’m right before your eyes, I’m aching.”

1. “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” 

I don’t think that it should come as a surprise that this song is the best on the album as it is widely regarded as one of the best songs in her whole discography. This song is all about the remembrance of a relationship and the memories that will forever have a hold on a person. The added lyrics and melodies in the ten-minute version are actually perfect and display all of Taylor’s emotions, ranging from reminiscent to pure anger. Not to mention, the short film she released (starring Dylan O’Brien and Sadie Sink) with this song literally gives you an inside look at what this doomed relationship felt like to her. This is the perfect song to belt in the car, to lipsync in the mirror, or if you’re like me, cry to in the shower. Now that she’s released a ten-minute version of this song, I think I might need a twenty-minute version of it. 

Favorite Lyric: “And did the twin flame bruise paint you blue? And just between us, did the love affair maim you too?”

Olivia Vasquez

CU Boulder '23

Olivia is a junior at CU majoring in ecology and evolutionary biology. She enjoys being creative by doing activities such as singing, drawing, painting, and crocheting. When she is not doing these things, she is probably getting overly attached to fictional characters.