This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The 90th Academy Awards, the most prestigious event celebrating all things film, aired last night on ABC. The awards ceremony was filled with incredible musical performances and inspiring acceptance speeches and just in case you missed it, here are the highlights:

Jimmy Kimmel’s monologue

Host, Kimmel, came out at the beginning of the show and delivered hysterical opening lines. He made light-hearted jokes about the “Best Picture” mishap last year, Harvey Weinstein’s sexual harassment allegations, and made fun of various nominated actors.

Tiffany Haddish and Maya Rudolph

The two killed it presenting the “Best Documentary Short Subject” award with comical criticism of the “too black Oscars.” Oscar 2019 hosts????

Frances McDormand’s acceptance speech

McDormand gave a rousing speech as she accepted her Oscar for “Best Actress in a Leading Role” which began with her powerfully informing the audience that she had “a lot to say.” McDormand excitedly asked all the female nominees to stand up together and ended the speech with two words: inclusion rider. She later explained the two words meant that regarding a contract for a movie “you can ask for and/or demand at least 50% diversity in not only the casting, but also the crew.”

Jordan Peele’s win

From his humble beginnings on Comedy Central, Director and writer of highly acclaimed Get Out, took home the oscar for “Best Original Screenplay.” In his acceptance speech, Peele mentions that he “stopped writing this movie 20 times because I thought… no one would ever make this movie.” Peele is the first ever black writer to win in this category. He also was only the third ever person to be nominated in three categories for their first directorial debut.

Lupita Nyong’o and Kumail Nanjiani

While presenting the award for “Best Production Design,” Nyong’o and Nanjiani mentioned their identity as immigrants in Hollywood. Both used their own stories to support their solidarity with the Dreamers, the youth under DACA, and made the most incisive political statement of the night.

James Ivory’s Timothée Chalamet shirt

Winner of the “Best Adapted Screenplay” for his adaptation of Andre Acíman’s Call Me By Your Name, Ivory donned a rather unconventional suit. Under a typical black suit jacket, he wore a button-down depicting the adorable star of the film he took home an Oscar for, Timothée Chalamet. Congratulations to a talent whose Oscar was long overdue and who undoubtedly was the best dressed on the carpet.

And a few gifs of our fav actors from the night…. :)

Frances McDormand?

Helen Mirren on a jet-ski.

Chadwick Boseman?

Margot Robbie being adorable.

Keala Settle being fierce af.

Appreciative Greta Gerwig ?

Lin-Manuel Miranda and Guillermo Del Toro carrying a sub.

Timothée Chalamet?

Alexa Cotler

CU Boulder

Alexa is currently a freshman at University of Colorado Boulder with an undecided major. A Philadelphia native, she loves the east coast and the humidity. Alexa enjoys reading, watching movies, running, and talking to her dogs on the phone.
Sko Buffs!