Wellness > Sex + Relationships

An Open Letter to a Hopeless Romantic Who’s Always Single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

To A Hopeless Romantic,

Single once again. As you look around, you find yourself wondering why. You walk along the pink and red covered isles at Target asking yourself why, once again this Hallmark holiday. You imagine scenarios of what it could be in your head, of cute dates and the outfits you’d wear if it looked any different. You picture the gift exchange part, the sugar overload on candy, and everything else associated with what Valentine’s Day should look like in your head.

Year after year, you can’t help but ask yourself what you’re doing wrong. Why do you find yourself eating chocolates and watching the same movies every year, wondering when it’ll be your turn. How many times will you watch “The Notebook” before you get the chance to know what the feeling where they lie on the street is like?

The Notebook Trailer
New Line Cinema

And sure, Valentine’s Day is about love and friendship. You’ve celebrated with your friends for years and it’s great, but you still yearn for the first of those two. Eventually, one thought leads to another and you’ll begin to question the likelihood of you ever finding someone who views relationships the way you do. After all, in today’s day and age, how easy is it to find someone who wants to go on dates, will get you flowers just because, and will tell you about the way your eyes resemble galaxies? Total sarcasm intended.

You can’t help but wonder if they’ll ever come along, if your Valentine’s Day will look the way it always has for every year to come. If the chocolate you eat will always be supplied by you, and if it’ll be spent in your room, and not out celebrating your relationship. The thing is, Valentine’s Day comes around as a reminder of love, but you and I both know that as hopeless romantics, we want to celebrate it year-round.

Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels

Hmm, maybe it’s not so bad to be alone on V-Day. After all, you know what you want. You know what you’re looking for. There’s comfort in knowing that you are there for you, to stand by that. Your love is valuable, and if you are so willing to give that to the person you’ll one day have, then it is so important to give it to yourself too. 

Take the time on Valentine’s Day to treat yourself the way you’d treat the person you keep making up in your head because while they come along, you can be that person. Eat all of the chocolate, look up punny, cheesy lines, even hand out Valentine’s to your friends if you want to, and most importantly, watch ALL of the movies.

Silver macbook by planner and flowers
Pexels / Alana Sousa

With time, they will come, and they will sweep you off your feet. For now, take care of you; love you. Don’t doubt whether or not you are worthy of the love you crave, because you definitely are. Do yourself a favor and stop questioning why they won’t come along because they’ll get here when you least expect it. And remember, you will always be the best Valentine you can have.

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.