This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Dear customer, I know you are hungry,

I’m sure you’ve been waiting for this bowl.

Your satisfaction is more than a job, it’s a goal

but there is no need to get hangry.

Ma’am, you’ve had a long day, I’m sure

both you and me,

but as you can see,

I have a line out the door. 

Sir, I see your long, long list,

and I worry there’s something I’ve missed.

Why did you have to come during rush hour?

Is that all? The next customer is trying to order. 

Buddy, please don’t be a flirt.

Not with me, not with her, not with any of the crew.

Your sad attempt at being suave is holding up the queue,

and she’s sixteen, you pervert. 

Believe it or not, the line is faster

not ordering online —pick up or delivery. 

Fifty orders in fifteen minutes is a recipe for disaster.

We’re doing our best, believe me. 

At long last, closing time.

But we’re far from done, 

for your mess should be a crime.

Closing has barely just begun. 

Mariana Bastias

CU Boulder '25

Mariana Bastías is the Director of Outreach for Her Campus CU Boulder, where she is in charge of coordinating volunteer and social events as well as connecting with local businesses for partnerships. Her articles will range from profiles to movie and book reviews to current events to her own experiences. Mariana is double majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology, with a minor in Business, at the University of Colorado at Boulder. She is the current manager of Brewing Market Coffee & Tea Emporium on Pearl St. Mall. As an aspiring novelist and poet, she has published a short story, Midnight Adventures, in Meridian Creative Arts Journal in their 50th edition, and she is currently working on a novella for her honors thesis. Whenever she can, Mariana likes to curl up with a book and a cup of tea and read the afternoon away. Her favorite novel is “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde, and she always pairs it with a cup of Earl Gray. Mariana is also an avid coffee drinker; as a professional and at-home barista, she’ll experiment with flavors and roasts. As a writer, Mariana loves filling notebooks with stories, poems, and observations of the world around her, as well as ideas for future articles.