This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Female sexual dysfunction (FSD) affects more than 40% of the female population and is characterized by a lack of sexual desire, arousal, and orgasm in addition to pain during intercourse (WebMD). What if there was a way to help diminish FSD and help the many women who suffer from it? According to Dr. Charles Runels and the Cellular Medical Association (CMA), there is.

Image

It’s called the “Orgasm Shot” or the “O-Shot” and it is available to anyone (for the price of $1000-$2000 depending on the provider). Providers and patients who have received the shot claim that it helps “rejuvenate the vagina” which increases libido, ability to orgasm, and decreases painful intercourse in addition to many other positive side effects (O-Shot). This sounds great, but how does it work?

Image

The first step in the procedure is to take blood from the patient, which is then centrifuged to produce Platelet-Rich-Plasma (PRP). The patient’s PRP is then injected into their vagina and clitoris. Providers need to go through a training program from the CMA before they can perform this procedure (CMA).

Image

There has been very limited research on the O-Shot, with much of the demand coming from patients who have received the procedure and had positive outcomes. However, more research is being sponsored by the CMA. One study found that the O-Shot can be used to treat FSD, but due to a small number of participants (11) more research needs to be done.

Image

If this shot does work, then it has huge implications for the large number of women who experience problems related to intercourse. While many women have had positive results from the O-Shot (including this Cosmopolitan reporter), the scientific evidence is not there to say that the O-Shot can definitely help your sex life.

Abby Tubman

CU Boulder '21

Abby has lived in Longmont, Colorado for most of her life. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder majoring in Integrative Physiology with a certificate in Public Health. Currently, she works for a nonprofit organization called the NYAGI Project that works to improve prenatal care in remote areas of the world. When she's not in class you can find Abby at the local Starbucks or spending time outdoors.