Career > Her20s

Navigating Life Like “Girls”

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

My best friend insisted I give the show “Girls” on Max a shot. Admittedly, I was initially hesitant. I tuned in out of sheer boredom, and my early impressions were far from favorable. The characters seemed insufferable, and I found myself complaining about the show.

However, everything changed when I reached the series’ final episode last night. Surprisingly, I was devastated. Somewhere along the way, I had grown attached to all the characters. As someone who daydreams about living in New York City in my 20s, I realized this show was made for me.

Despite being the antithesis of “Sex and the City” with its less-than-polished characters struggling to hold down jobs, “Girls” masterfully captures the essence of life in New York during your 20s.

The narrative begins when the characters are 24: fresh out of college, navigating old relationships, and trying to discover who they are. By the series’ end, they are around 28, having experienced many relationships, personal changes, and one-night stands. They finally begin settling in the workforce, marking a substantial growth journey.

Most characters form bonds in college, while the rest solidify their friendships post-graduation. Approaching my own graduation, I couldn’t help but reflect on my friendships. While the main characters’ bonds in “Girls” are toxic, mine have been the opposite. I didn’t find a romantic partner in college, but I did discover lifelong friends. They’ve laughed with me through thick and thin, witnessed my worst moods, and loved me through it all. In turn, I would do the same for any of them.

The impact of “Girls” on me lies in its poignant portrayal of navigating the tumultuous journey of one’s 20s. As I stand on the brink of entering what they call the “best decade of life,” the show resonates deeply with the experiences that lie ahead.

Like Hannah, the main character, I also consider myself a writer with aspirations of writing a book someday. My looming graduation date often makes me feel like I must suddenly have my entire life figured out. Yet, as I observed from the show “Friends,” even those characters in their early 20s are far from settled, and it takes them a decade to find their footing.

Early in “Girls,” many characters exhibit people-pleasing tendencies. Hannah dedicates significant time to Adam, her romantic interest throughout the show, who treats her poorly. Meanwhile, Shoshanna, another main character, fails to receive the respect she deserves as a friend but remains in the group. Reflecting on this, I recognize that as we grow older, we become more discerning about whom we invest our time. We gain confidence in ourselves.

For those apprehensive about graduating, I recommend watching “Girls.” It imparts valuable lessons about embracing unconventional experiences, not feeling pressured to have life figured out immediately, embracing your uniqueness, resisting the urge to people-please, and cherishing the present moment. The show serves as a reminder that life is fleeting, and by constantly looking ahead, you might miss out on the rich experiences of the present. No one knows the future, so allow life to guide you to where you are meant to be.

Taylor Gurtman

CU Boulder '24

Taylor is a senior at CU Boulder and is majoring in journalism. Besides writing articles, Taylor enjoys hiking, listening to podcasts, and laughing with her friends.