Style > Beauty

Natural Skin Care That Will Make Your Skin Glow Without Breaking Your Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Anyone else tired of having to finance an overly priced skin care routine full of products that never live up to their promise of clear, glowing skin? Yeah me too. About a year ago, my skin took a turn for the worse, within weeks I had painful cystic acne covering my cheeks and forehead. I was desperate to find a miracle cream that would give me that natural glow. I spent hundreds of dollars on expensive products, yet none of them had more than a slight impact. It wasn’t until I switched most of my products to cheaper and more natural alternatives that I finally achieved that coveted clear skin glow.

Here are the products that changed my skin:

Oregano Oil

If you have sensitive skin that’s prone to breakouts or dry spots, this is the spot treatment for you. Oregano has natural antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that will zap your zits before they get a chance to pop up on your face without giving you dry peeling areas. Make sure you dilute the oil before applying, otherwise it can burn a bit when you put it on your troublesome spots.

Vitamin E oil

Vitamin E oil is the scar and dry spot fighter. If you’re not prone to breakouts, dabbing a bit on your old acne scars will help repair the collagen and fade the hyperpigmentation. However, if you are like me and putting oil on your skin will cause pimples, this is great for growing long, lushes lashes as well as brightening your dark circles. Just put some on the end of a q-tip and spread over your lash line every night before bed.

Tamanu Oil

Girls, I DID find my holy grail product. Tamanu oil is actually God’s gift to those of us with difficult skin. I put a drop in with my moisturizer at night and within two days I had glowing soft skin. I know that putting oil on your face sounds scary, but tamanu oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in addition to moisturizing. It helps clear acne instead of clogging your pores like other oils. Since I started using this daily, my usual peeling dry spots have completely disappeared. I have completely stopped wearing foundation because of this product.  

Witch Hazel

If you have ever looked at skincare feeds on Instagram or Tumblr, you will recognize this product. Although it’s an internet favorite, it lives up to its promises. Most toners that you find on the shelves have high levels of alcohol that do more damage to your skin than good. Witch hazel is alcohol an alcohol-free product that tones, cleans, and soothes skin. If you want that natural glow ladies, this is the product for you.

Tea Tree Oil

Tea tree oil is another great spot treatment, especially for those ladies with combination/oily skin. The oil acts as a solvent to unclog pores as well as heal and prevent infections on your face. For those of you with dry or sensitive skin, be careful with this product because it can mess up the skin’s natural moisture barrier.

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is one of the most versatile natural beauty products. It can be used as anything from moisturizer to teeth whitener. It’s naturally antifungal and antibacterial, making it a great moisturizer for the skin. Due to its heavy oiliness, experts do not recommend putting it all over your face, but instead on dry spots, around the eyes or lips, or on your body.

Most, of these products can be found on the shelves of regular grocery stores for reasonable prices. But remember ladies, more important than acne fighting products is embracing your imperfections. Acne is beautiful too!

Pictures courtesy of Pinterest

Lea Brody-Heine

CU Boulder '22

I am a freshman at CU Boulder, but a true Oregonian at heart. I am very passionate about politics, especially women's rights issues. In high school I was Layout Editor, Copy Editor, and Staff Writer for my school's news paper, The Pinnacle. I am a huge tea drinker and if you ask my roommate, she'll say I have enough tea on my desk to supply someone for a lifetime.
Sko Buffs!