My Top Five Studio Ghibli Films

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

A warmly lit bakery, filled with pastries and bread, a delicious aroma wafting out the windows. A boundless meadow with vibrant, colorful flowers, the sun shining down on them. A mysterious castle, built from faded bricks, moss growing in between the cracks. 

These are just a few examples of the comforting, beautiful scenery found in Studio Ghibli films, a Japanese animation studio based in Koganei, Tokyo. It has a strong presence in the animation industry, known for stunning visuals, pretty soundtracks, and intriguing characters. Ghibli films hold a special place in my heart. Although I didn’t grow up with them, I was introduced to them by a friend during a rough period of my life and they brought, and continue to bring me, an immense amount of joy and wonder. 

I love curling up in a cozy blanket with a cup of hot cocoa, especially at this time of the year, to watch or rewatch a Ghibli film. Their quaint vibes are immaculate and never fail to put me at ease. The adorable, enchanting nature of the films make them so easy to watch and I highly recommend trying them out, even if animated movies aren’t your thing. They’re full of relatable themes and characters, and there are many options to choose from. If you’re looking for somewhere to start, here’s a list of my personal top five favorites. 

5. “The Cat Returns” (2002)

Mix talking cats and daring adventures and you’ll get “The Cat Returns”, directed by Hiroyuki Morita. The story follows high school student Haru, who rescues a cat that was about to be run over by a truck and discovers that the cat is actually a prince named Lune. Lune’s father, the Cat King, arranges a marriage between her and Lune to express his gratitude. Haru is brought to the Cat Kingdom and begins to develop feline features. When she’s prevented from leaving, two statues that magically come to life provide assistance in her escape and attainment of freedom. What really struck me about this movie is how bizarre yet charming it is. I couldn’t help but laugh at the absurdity of the scene where all the cats are parading down the street at night. It was jarring but it made perfect sense with the plot. A majority of the film centers around silly yet sensible scenes, and that’s why I enjoy it. It’s a good balance between seriousness and fun

4. “The Wind Rises” (2013)

The dramatic and dreamlike narrative immediately pulled me into “The Wind Rises”, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It’s a fictionalized biography/character study of Jiro Hirikoshi and his rise of becoming an Aviation engineer. The film truly exhibits his lifelong love of flight and his determination to create the A6M World War II fighter plane. I don’t know much about aviation so not only was this film entertaining, but also educational. I didn’t realize how much effort and thought goes into building highly functional airplanes, and it was deeply moving to see Hirikoshi’s passion for aviation. His dreams of aircraft designer Giovanni Caproni further cemented his dedication to the field, longing to be just like his idol. I was also incredibly invested in the side plot of the romance between Hirokoshi and Nahoko Satomi. The evolution of their intimate dynamic throughout the film was well done. It was touching to see how much they cared about each other and the ways in which they brought out the best in one another.

3. “Spirited Away” (2001)

“Spirited Away”, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, is simply a classic, a staple in the Studio Ghibli film lineup. This one focuses on Chihiro, a 10-year-old girl who stumbles upon a seemingly abandoned amusement park with her parents. After her mom and dad transform into giant pigs, Chihiro meets the mysterious Haku, who explains that the park is a resort for spirits who need a break, and that she must work there to free herself and her parents. The film features a lot of fantastical characters, such as No Face, Kamaji, Yubaba, and more, but I really connected to Chihiro. While I can’t say I’ve been sucked into a distant spirit realm, I know what it’s like to be a confused, young girl who has to mature in a short amount of time to survive. Her character arc/development resonated with me and I could relate to her, which made the film even cooler. My favorite scene is when she visits a pig pen, unsure which ones are her parents. Upset and overwhelmed, she sobs while Haku comforts her by feeding her rice cakes. I understand what it’s like to run around and keep busy, only to be reminded of a problem, and needing a moment to process it and cry. Also, food makes everything better. Chihiro is definitely easy to empathize with and root for.

2. “Howl’s Moving Castle” (2004)

“Howl’s Moving Castle”, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, is another iconic Ghibli film, distinguished and most recognizable for the character of Howl Pendragon. It tells the tale of Sophie, a milliner with an uneventful life that completely changes when she befriends wizard Howl, who lives in a mystical, flying castle. However, the evil Witch of the Waste takes issue with their budding relationship and casts a spell on young Sophie, which ages her prematurely. Howl must use his magical talents to battle the witch and return Sophie to her former youth. I love the way this film explores themes of love, beauty, and self-acceptance. Howl and Sophie’s romance helps them open their hearts and heal. Howl loves Sophie no matter what she looks like, which inspires her to feel worthy of love and confident in her own skin. In turn, Sophie loves Howl despite his questionable reputation and flaws, helping him retain the humanity and heart he thought he had given away long ago. It proves that love can help people grow and gain self-love. I think it’s interesting that their romance blooms amid chaos. Miyazaki may have been trying to show that love for others and yourself can overcome any violent hardships.

1. “Kiki’s Delivery Service” (1989)

Finally, without a doubt, my favorite Studio Ghibli film of all time is “Kiki’s Delivery Service”, directed by Hayao Miyazaki. In this animated movie, 13-year-old Kiki moves to a seaside town with her talking cat, Jiji, to spend a year alone, in compliance with her village’s tradition for witches in training. After learning to control her broomstick, Kiki sets up a delivery service that quickly becomes a fixture in the community. However, her insecurities cause her to question her magical abilities, and she must overcome this self-doubt in order to regain her powers. This film is extremely endearing and cute. Witches, cats, bakeries, night skies… what’s not to like? It’s sweet and simple and I never get tired of rewatching it. The initial scene where she flies on her broomstick to the town is very nostalgic and constantly on my mind. The scene is just so beautiful, with Kiki enveloped in stars and moonlit clouds. It’s a film I wish I could live in.

Studio Ghibli is a creative, popular animation studio that deserves the praise it gets. They share lovely, intricate stories that are visually compelling. I’m so grateful I was introduced to it and hopefully, you’ll feel the same way after watching some films on this list.

Tanvi Sabharwal

CU Boulder '27

Tanvi Sabharwal is a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado Boulder. As a contributing writer, she pitches and writes two articles per month. Outside of Her Campus, Tanvi is a freshman at CU Boulder. She is majoring in Journalism and considering a minor in Film. She's hoping to build up her writing career since she's always been fond of English classes and telling stories. She's interested in all kinds of writing, from creative to academic. In her personal life, Tanvi enjoys reading, hanging out with friends, and watching TV shows/movies. Her favorite book is If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio and her comfort show is The Good Place. She also likes going to concerts, thrift shopping, and baking. She adores live music and generally going to fun places "for the plot". Tanvi is excited to grow as a writer and explore Boulder more!