My Take on Oprah’s Must-Have Gifts for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

When I think of Christmas shopping, I always think of Oprah’s “List of favorite things.” I remember flipping through the glossy pages and reading through all 107 of Oprah’s must-have gifts for the season. Although it may seem as though magazines are a part of the past, Oprah is still going strong with a digital format of her magazine and continuing the tradition of curating a luxurious gift guide for those who don’t mind splurging on $140 gloves. I like the history of this gift guide which pretty much revolves around Oprah’s extravagant kindness and her own willingness to splurge on friends and family, relying on her: “would I buy this for myself?” mentality. She also notes that it is the “spirit, energy, and excitement” of gift giving that makes it special. In other words… “You get a gift and you get a gift!”

I wanted to channel this same energy, but specifically for college students and what they would actually want and use. After examining multiple years of Oprah’s favorites and using my past knowledge, I have found 66 or so of my “favorite things” that would be perfect gifts for college students. Amazon edition!

This year, Oprah has divided her must-haves into 10 categories: Stylish gifts, cozy gifts, home gifts, kitchen gifts, beauty gifts, tech gifts, pet gifts, food gifts, book and writing gifts, and children’s gifts. 

Stylish gifts are definitely on my wish-list and I’m sure they’re on everyone’s list as well. No matter what style a college student has, they will definitely be needing these winter-appropriate fashion essentials: 

Cozy gifts are an essential part of Christmas gift giving that help ease the bite of winter. Your college student will love these snug accessories:

Tell your college student you care about their health and skincare routine with some relaxing beauty gifts, and make sure they’re stocked up on essentials to keep them looking glamorous throughout the winter season.

All college students need kitchenware throughout the year. Get their year started off right with some nice essential kitchen appliances (especially if they love cooking):

Gifts for the home (or dorm or apartment) are a nice gesture for a college student and allows them to better decorate their space to their unique taste and make a space feel welcoming. Add these fun decor gifts to your list:

Christmas is the time to bestow some higher quality tech gifts that the college student in your life will make good use of. Keep the following tech gifts in mind:

If you know a college student with a furry companion, then you know that they don’t want to be left out. Become their pet’s favorite with these great pet gifts:

• Toys (let your cat know they’re on the nice list with this fun stocking full of toys)
  • Treats (These are super festive and my dog at home loves them)
  • Bed (This bed looks super comfy I’m jealous) 

If you know that your college student is a foodie, they’ll be expecting some fun treats in their stocking. Fulfill their dreams with these food gift ideas:

I’m also including childrens gifts because even though they are technically adults, college students are still kids at heart and still like stuffed animals for cuddling or decor (they’re also super cute).

Books and writing gifts are perfect for all college students who are creative and love to read. Fill their stocking with these favorites:

Whew! That was a long list. Out of all 66 items, it shouldn’t be too hard to Christmas shop for the college student in your life. With all the different categories, you’ll be sure to find something for everyone. At the end of the day, try to embrace Oprah’s true meaning of gift giving: “For me, the gift is a symbol of a feeling. And it’s equally delightful for the giver and the receiver. Some of my best and most extravagant gifts have been vacations or spa trips for friends, because I know experiences make memories.”

Jayden Bergen

CU Boulder '24

Jayden is a political science major with a Spanish and business minor at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is a Colorado native. She is passionate about history, the outdoors, fashion, and current events.