This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As spring break is approaching, I’m most excited to drive around the suburbs of Illinois, and I’m especially excited to go visit my friend down at UIUC, which happens to be a three-hour drive from my home. For me, no road trip is complete without the following: 

Turning Up Road Trip GIF by filmeditor  - Find & Share on GIPHY
  1. Drinks.

For long drives, I always like to have a few drink options. Iced water is a must, and so is caffeine. Typically, I get a large french vanilla coffee from Dunkin Donuts or a brown sugar shaken espresso from Starbucks. If the drive is especially long, I’ll pick up an Arizona green tea from the gas station, or a shitty gas station coffee (which tastes like the best thing on earth during a long drive). 

1. Snacks. 

No road trip is complete without some snacks. I always have a pack of Extra spearmint gum, but I also like to treat myself to a donut or some hashbrowns from Dunkin Donuts. If I stop to get gas along the way, I’ll always pick up a bag of Muddy Buddies or a bag of jalapeno cheddar Cheetos. 

1. A good playlist or podcast. 

Unless you have a really entertaining passenger, a long playlist or a podcast is necessary. My favorite activity while driving is to pretend I’m hosting my own concert with the songs off of my playlist. Besides my regular playlist, I also have to play “Ribs” by Lorde and “Stick Season” by Noah Kahnn as I hit the highway since these songs always make me feel like I’m going on a new adventure. If I’m in a podcast mood, I’ll listen to “Dateline.” 

Season 2 Episode 12 Nbc GIF by Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist - Find & Share on GIPHY
  1. A blanket or layers of clothes.

Sometimes, the thermostat in the car never seems to be just the right temperature (feeling like goldilocks at times), so having an extra blanket or wearing a t-shirt underneath a sweater is important. If I’m bringing a blanket, it’s usually a small one that I can wrap around my shoulders or place on my lap. 

1. A tank of gas (and other car essentials). 

The last time I made the journey to UIUC, I almost got stranded in the middle of nowhere. If you’ve ever traveled to the south of Illinois by car, you know that there is nothing there for miles and miles and miles (and miles). This time, I’ll make sure I have a full tank of gas, as well as jumper cables and a flashlight, just in case. 

I think road trips are the elite way to travel, especially when you can go fast with some good music playing in the background. It lets me pretend that I’m a driver in the Fast and Furious with a killer soundtrack. 

Speeding Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga - Find & Share on GIPHY
Eera Vedavyas

CU Boulder '26

Eera Vedavyas is an editor and contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado Boulder. Beyond Her Campus, Eera is a sophomore at CU Boulder studying Psychology with a minor in Business. Their writing journey began in middle school after being inspired to write a novel. Now, her writing experience has evolved too poetry, journalistic writing, and is currently editing her first novel that she hopes to publish one day. In their free time, they enjoy reading, learning how to cook, discovering new music, playing video games, and exploring new places.