This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Good queer representation in the media is something that is still being fought for. While there has been significant improvement in the last two decades, there are still issues when it comes to trying to find good films and television shows that handle queer characters and storylines with care. For example, queer television shows often face cancellations, even if they garner big streaming numbers. Similarly, queer characters are frequently killed off or do not receive happy endings. Up until rather recently, it was hard to find good representation with a high production value that showed real and honest storylines that favor queer individuals. That being said, great films and television shows deserve your support, so here are some of my favorites.

1. “Imagine Me and You” (Amazon Prime)

This is my favorite film of all time, so much so that my mom has banned it from family movie night as she argues that “we have watched it too much.” This film follows two characters, Rachel and Luce, who meet at Rachel’s wedding to her husband, Hector. From there, they become friends, but it quickly becomes something more. This film perfectly encapsulates the early 2000s romantic comedy vibe and portrays a very cute love story between the two women. While yes, it technically does have the cheating trope, you know what they say: never let your husband stop you from finding your wife! And yes, all of the characters have a happy ending. 

1. “Bottoms” (Amazon Prime)

This film starring Rachel Senott and Ayo Edebirii just hit theaters a couple of months ago. It is centered around two teenagers, PJ and Josie, who start a fight club at their school to garner the attention of their two crushes on the cheer team. It does a great job of having realistic and relatable depictions of what it’s like to be a queer teenager in this day and age. This film is satirical and campy in the best way possible, making it a perfect contender for your next movie night. 

1. “Dickinson” (Apple TV)

“Dickinson” offers a modern and exciting take on the story of the well-known poet Emily Dickinson. Starring Hailee Steinfeld and Ella Hunt, it tells the story of Emily Dickinson (Steinfeld) and her esteemed romance with her brother’s wife, Sue (Hunt), through her poetry. The show does an excellent job showcasing Emily’s life and relationship with Sue through beautiful visuals, comedy, and a great soundtrack. While this show is set in the 1800s, it uses modern language and humor, making it entertaining and easy to follow.

1. “Killing Eve” (AMC+)

“Killing Eve”, starring Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer, is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. It follows Eve (Oh), who is a spy trying to hunt down trained assassin Villanelle (Comer). The pair have a rather slow-burn relationship and spend most of the show having a mouse and cat relationship. It offers stunning visuals, beautiful costumes, and suspense. It’s funny, it’s sad, and if you make it to the final episode, stop at minute 34:55 for your own mental well-being. 

1. “A League of Their Own” (Amazon Prime) 

This series is a remake of the 1992 film under the same name. It follows a women’s baseball team that is trying to garner attention during World War Two. Not only is it entertaining and humorous, it does a great job of portraying both black and queer representation. Like “Dickinson”, it is a modern take on a time period piece but still does a great job showcasing the struggles of being a woman at this time. There are so many great characters you learn to love and understand and I can’t recommend it enough. Unfortunately, the show was canceled after originally being renewed for a second season, a fate we have seen far too many times for queer representation; however, it is still a beautiful show. 

1. “Summerland” (Amazon Prime)

“Summerland” is not as well-known as some other queer films and I don’t know why. This film follows recluse and closed-off Alice as she must take care of a young boy during World War One. Viewers soon learn that Alice became this way after separating from her ex-lover, Vera. Reluctantly, she takes the boy in, and the two form an unlikely bond. I don’t want to give too much away, but there is a significant plot twist and very much a happy ending. 

These are just a few of many excellent forms of representation that have come out recently. It is so important to support and encourage others to watch these as it is still a battle to even get them on screen. Queer stories deserve to be told, and it is important to support them. 

Karina Sercombe

CU Boulder '25

Karina is a contributing writer to CU’s Her Campus chapter for the 2023-2024 school year. This is her first year writing and she enjoys writing about all things film and pop culture. Karina is a junior studying Cinema Production and hopes to one day combine her love for writing and film. Outside of school, Karina has worked for local film festivals and hopes to continue doing so. When not watching movies or writing for Her Campus, she enjoys reading, traveling, or playing soccer.