This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Periodically while growing up, and certainly since quarantine, I have had long hair. I have medium-thick, slightly wavy (2A/2B) hair which falls just a couple inches short of my belly button. I love styling it. When my hair is curled or pinned up just right, I feel amazing. It is such a simple pleasure and one of my favorite forms of self-expression.

To achieve such hair, I rely on a few staple products. While these items are not exclusively for long hair, I find them incredibly helpful in managing mine.

Kristin Ess Air Dry Creme

If I am feeling lazy and low maintenance, this is the one product I will put in my hair. It is a deliciously smooth and lightweight creme. I like this because I am not the best at taking care of my natural hair pattern. If I want, I can use this product to define my waves or combat any frizz if I decide to brush my hair straight. You can also reactivate this with some water. I usually just spritz a little water, et voilà!

Wet Brush GO Green Detangler

I have gone through a lot of brushes, and I have yet to find one better than this. They are cute (I have the lavender), lightweight, and great with tangles—wet or dry. They also come in travel size: an essential when wearing my long hair down all day.

Kristin Ess Volumizing Mousse

Because my hair is long and kind of thick, it is often weighed down and can look a little flat. Just a little of this mousse and a couple minutes of blow-drying gives my hair life.

Batiste Dry Shampoo

This is my favorite dry shampoo I have tried so far. It does a great job of making my hair less oily while adding a bit of volume. I just use the original, but it comes in an array of shades for different hair colors. There is also a variety of scents. Plus, the containers are cute and colorful.

Drybar High Tops Self-Grip Rollers

I love to use these rollers and a curling iron to get a gentle blowout look. Initially, I was hesitant to purchase these. I thought they would leave my hair in knots instead of soft curls. Thankfully, my apprehension was wrong. I will admit, the first couple times I took these rollers out of my hair, I struggled. I also rely on the smaller sized roller to revive my bangs in the mornings.

As stated in Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s masterpiece “Fleabag,” hair is everything! Not really, but I do resonate with most of this sentiment. While I love these products, do not feel like you need to spend a ton of money on hair care. A few staples and/or a heatless method to style in your sleep work just fine. I think that’s the beauty of hair. You can choose to do so much or just a little. Either way, it is such a cool way of self-expression!

Kailynn Renfro

CU Boulder '24

Kailynn is a contributing writer for CU Boulder's Her Campus chapter. She enjoys writing about entertainment, academics, fashion, and more. This is her fifth semester writing for Her Campus. She is a senior history major with minors in both Spanish and education. She is also learning Russian. Kailynn is currently working on an honors thesis, focusing on American perceptions of Soviet women between 1953 and 1964. In addition to Cold War studies, she has worked on late medieval and early modern England. Outside of school and Her Campus, she is an avid fan of film and TV. If she is not on campus or at a cafe, she is at home with a cup of tea working her way through her Letterboxd watchlist. Kailynn also loves to read, cook, and spend time with loved ones.