Culture > Digital

More Than Likes: Girls-Girl Influencers Who Support Other Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As a grown woman with healthy self-esteem, genuine appreciation of other women, and a strong “girls-girl” moral code: influencers usually don’t impress me. When I was a teenager, girls like Sommer Ray, Lele Pons, and Liza Koshy made me feel worse about myself; each one of their posts felt like a competition of who was the prettiest, funniest, and richest. It seemed as though many early influencers rose to fame because of how they pitted their female followers against each other in order to be deemed the ideal woman in the eyes of their male audience. 

From my perspective, many influencers use their platforms to brag about their status rather than connect with their followers. Why would I follow someone who makes me feel unworthy, much less be convinced to buy a product they’re advertising when I don’t agree with their media presence? Thus, for the longest time, I have been anti-influencer. 

Until recently, I had no interest in keeping up to date with the life of a self-made celebrity. That is until I really started to appreciate how some female influencers use their media presence to promote acceptance, self-love, and overall feminist ideals instead of simply advertising themselves or a product. While I don’t think all influencers are worth the hype, below are a few influencers who have dedicated their internet presence to being girls-girls and who break the mold of a stereotypical influencer.

Spencer Barbosa

Spencer Barbosa is what all female influencers should represent. She is the definition of body positivity, inclusivity, and female empowerment. Her reels expose how deceptive camera angles can be, her pictures proudly show off belly rolls and cellulite, and yet she is honest about her insecurities. Her clothing brand, Something Bigger, boasts affirmations like “size is just a letter, it does not define you” and lots and lots of pink. Barbosa is down-to-earth and passionate about supporting other women; go follow her immediately. 

Emma Chamberlain

The most influential influencer in the history of the internet, Emma Chamberlain is the original girls-girl prototype. Starting off her internet career on YouTube, Chamberlain has evolved into an American icon. She has worked with Vogue, owns and founded Chamberlain Coffee (which is genuinely scrumptious coffee), and hosts her podcast called anything goes with emma chamberlain. Despite her rising success and A-list status, she is extremely relatable. She burps on camera, talks about losing friends, having acne, and she seriously feels like a good friend of mine. Emma Chamberlain is my favorite celebrity, and I could write an entire article series on her. 

Kelsey Luccaro

First recommended to me by my brother (who most definitely has a crush on her), Kelsey Luccaro is an influencer who I have grown to love. One look at her Instagram page, and you can tell exactly what she’s all about: Luccaro is a totally ripped, badass, gorgeous woman. Along with breaking gender stereotypes about what it means to be strong, Kelsey Luccaro also posts memes and regularly stands up for what she believes in. To be honest, I don’t think she cares that she’s famous and genuinely just likes posting fitness content; she even answered my DM one time asking where she got her jumpsuit, so she’s clearly not a gatekeeper. I really appreciate how down-to-earth she is and would trust her to spot me in the gym. 

Alexa Sunshine

I first discovered Alexa Sunshine 83 while binging Emma Chamberlain thrift hauls and immediately fell in love with her — quite literal — sunny personality. She loves all things Disney, wears bold, quirky patterns, and has amazing style. The best part is, never once have I felt bad about myself when viewing her YouTube videos, watching her Instagram story, or reading the comments on her newest picture. Alexis Sunshine is a fashion influencer who represents all the positive aspects of womanhood, and I definitely recommend checking out her YouTube channel.

Lyss Boss

The host of the date yourself instead podcast, Lyss Boss, is truly a girls-girl. She is vulnerable about heartbreak and yet realistic about the possibilities of self-love. Boss single-handedly got me through my last breakup, and her affirmational posts make my day brighter. Even if happily in a stable relationship, I think Lyss Boss is the type of influencer all girls need in their lives.

Callie Vinson

I was only recently introduced to Callie Vinson, but I appreciate her content and what she stands for. Vinson is a runner-bodypositivy-feminist-extrodanoire and uses her platform to share her journey with health. She inspires me to believe in my fitness journey, accept myself for who I am, and appreciate the world around me. 

Social media can be a toxic environment. Especially for women and young girls, the internet can often be a source of comparison, toxic interactions with other females, and, more often than not, a self-confidence drainer rather than something inspiring, heartwarming, or inclusive. However, the likes of Spencer Barbosa, Emma Chamberlain, Kelsey Luccaro, Alexa Sunshine, Lyss Boss, and Callie Vinson give me hope for the future; they model how influencing can be an opportunity to promote feminism rather than pitting women against each other. 

Aim to follow influencers who hype you up, accept you for who you are, and promote something other than themselves or a product. The world pits women against each other enough as it is: we need to stick together now more than ever.

Some other female influencers who I also adore are:

Alix Earle

Caroline Vazzana

Monet McMichael

Mercury Stardust

Bria Lemirande

Lydia Keating

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.