This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

As we are approaching the start of a new school year, we are also approaching the start of a new year at HCCU. Many joined Her Campus to write but had no idea the impact it would have on their lives. Here are a few quotes from our members about why they joined and why you should follow in their footsteps! 

Maeve Reilly

“When I was little, all I wanted was to be an author, but over the years, I lost touch with writing. I joined Her Campus CU in hopes to reignite my love for writing, and I found so much more! I’m incredibly grateful for the opportunities HCCU has given me and the doors it has opened for future career paths.”

Katelynn Hughes

“I’ve always enjoyed writing, but never had opportunities for fun writing I was passionate about in my STEM major. When I learned about HCCU I wanted to join to be a part of something different than my everyday life, and I fell in love with the club! I’m able to be creative, be surrounded by wonderful women, and have a platform to represent the things I adore.”

Emma D’Arcy

“I joined HCCU because I wanted to challenge myself. I loved writing but I never pushed myself any further than mediocre poetry from late nights in my dorm room. But joining has not only improved my writing, it’s shown me what can happen when I do push myself past my anxiety. I’ve made the best friends and being published on a national website is a feeling I can’t even describe. Please join!”

Kaitlyn Waynick

“I joined HC because it has all of my interests combined into one kickass publication. Writing, friendship, content creation, leadership opportunities, the list goes on and on! From the get-go I knew it was a place where all types of people could come together and find common ground in a love for working hard to create something great.”

Madeleine Abram

“Throughout my life, I’ve always had a passion for writing — as a child and teenager, I always dreamed of becoming an author. It wasn’t until college, however, that I fell in love with technology and digital creativity. Being a part of Her Campus magazine has allowed me to combine both of those passions while simultaneously developing friendships along the way.”

Ivie Maher

“I found Her Campus from their Instagram and I instantly knew it was something that I wanted to do. I went to the first meeting and the rest is history. I have met some of the best people and I know that I can always rely on them for anything. I have grown so much since joining and I will always be grateful for this organization!”

Kelley Laxton

“During my sophomore year, I decided it was time to join a club and stumbled across the Her Campus CU Boulder booth at the Get Involved Fair. I was immediately drawn to the organization. As a journalism major, I knew this would help build my portfolio and better my writing, but was unaware of how big HCCU would be in my life. It was the best decision I could have made in college.”

Kaitland Schaper

“I saw the booth for Her Campus at the Be Involved Fair my freshman year. It was one of the last ones I saw before I left, and it was so cute looking I had to check it out. When I found out it was a girl’s magazine, I knew I had to come to a meeting. I have always been passionate about writing and the community and aesthetic of our girl gang drew me in, and the feeling of acceptance and belonging made me stay!” 

We are so excited for the new school year and hope to see many new faces join us! 

Kelley is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus CU Boulder. She is currently a senior majoring in journalism and minoring in sports media. In her free time, she likes to workout at her local CrossFit gym, hang out at coffee shops, and explore the mountains.
Maeve Reilly

CU Boulder '21

Maeve is a full-time Events Associate at Her Campus Media. After three amazing years at Her Campus CU Boulder, interning, and being a national writer, she just couldn't get enough HC! She graduated from the University of Colorado Boulder (sko buffs!) in December 2021 with a degree in business.
Katelynn Hughes

CU Boulder '21

Katelynn is currently a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Business. She is an undergraduate student researcher studying alcohol use in adolescence and has worked with public policy around juvenile justice. She currently serves as the Events Director for the CU chapter on the Senior Exec board. In her free time she loves movie nights with her girl squad and cuddling with her poodle.
Emma D'Arcy

CU Boulder '22

Emma is a junior at CU Boulder studying Communications, and the Director of Chapter Branding for Her Campus CU Boulder. Outside of school, you can find her at a local coffee shop, the farmers market, or writing her latest article!
Kaitlyn Waynick

CU Boulder '22

Strat Comm major with an emphasis in Public Relations and a minor in Leadership. Avid lover of coffee, dogs, Netflix, and travel. Southern-raised but a big mountain girl.
Madeleine Abram

CU Boulder '23

Madeleine is a sophomore majoring in media production and journalism. In her free time, you can find her getting boba tea, scouting out her local coffee shops, thrifting, exploring nature, cooking delicious vegan food, or playing with her two dogs and pet guinea pig!
Ivie Maher

CU Boulder '23

Ivie is a senior studying political science. She loves dogs, bunnies, and ice cream. She loves the outdoors and feels right at home here in the mountains. You can catch her cooking green bean casserole (her favorite), finding new music, or writing her newest article.
Kaitland is the Social Media Director for the chapter. She is a junior here at CU Boulder, studying Communication with minors in Spanish and Media Studies. Journalism is a fun hobby of hers and her favorite things to write about are: fashion, social issues and lifestyle. On campus, Kaitland is part of CMCI and the Dean Scholars. In Boulder you can find her at your local aesthetic coffee shop, trying out cool new restaurants, and saying hi to the local fauna.