This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Name: Clarity Engel

Age: 20

Year: Third (junior)

Major: International Affairs and Spanish

Hometown: Parker, Colorado

Relationship status: In a great relationship :)

To get started, could you describe yourself in three to five words?

Passionate, headstrong, quirky, caring

When you first meet someone, what do you notice first? (like what draws you to people, I guess is how you could interpret this/do you notice eyes/lips/hair/etc.)

The first thing that truly resonates with me when I meet someone is their laugh. I love seeing joy and happiness in people’s eyes. I also notice how people carry themselves, I’m very put off by those who seem to think a lot of themselves — it’s hard to have a genuine conversation with someone like that. I’m always drawn to people who exude light and happiness — contrary to popular belief there is so much good in this world, so why not surround yourself with people who embody “goodness.”

What are you involved in on campus?

I write for The Tab CU-Boulder and The Tab US and UK. I’m also a member of the College Democrats.

Most of your articles on The Tab have grabbed a lot of attention, some even going viral. What are some tips you have for those interested in writing?

My number one tip would be to write about something you are passionate about. Connecting with readers is the most powerful experience a writer can have. If you find something that truly inspires you or fires you up, write about it, regardless of what others may say. If you let the opinion’s of others dictate your life, you’ll never get your work out there.

Some of your pieces speak to feminism, politics, and other subjects that others might deem to be “touchy.” How do you deal with any backlash or bad attention garnered by these topics?

Not everyone is going to agree with what I write, and that’s fine since everyone has their own opinions. I’ve been really grateful that some of my writing has gone viral, but that has come with some backlash and some immense positivity. The feedback I get from readers is always more positive than negative. When I get comments that are truly hateful, I just take a step back and realize that their hatred is a reflection on themselves, not on me. My writing has made other women and men feel comfortable talking to me about their struggles in life, and many have let me know how much my article resonated with them, and that outweighs any negativity that may come about.

Now for some more fun questions. If you could be anywhere right this very moment, where would that be?

I would be on the beach in Costa Rica with my family and boyfriend. Side note — if you haven’t been to Costa Rica — GO!

What’s your current dream job?

An international humanitarian lawyer or foreign ambassador.

When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A Broadway performer! That will still secretly be my dream job forever. Music is my first love.

What’s a quote/motto that you live by?

“Simple kindness to one’s self and all that lives is the most powerful transformational force of all.”

What’s your favorite way to spend your freetime in Boulder?

I love kickboxing, I go to a couple classes every week, but also hiking and reading.

What do you enjoy most about studying at CU?

The curriculum is wonderful — my professors are always so knowledgeable and experienced, especially in their fields and that contributes to a conducive learning environment where all views are shared and discussed.

What/who influences you most?

My mom, my dad, and my brother — they’ve always been so loving and supportive, they all have such a hard work ethic and truly care about the world around them, I’m very lucky. Also, simple acts of kindness, it shows that change begins directly with us.

If you could tell you 18-year-old self anything, what would it be?

The right guy will cross oceans to be with you, so don’t get caught up fighting for someone who won’t fight for you. Also, focus on bettering yourself first, your mental health is of the utmost importance.

Where do you hope to be in 5 years? 10 years?

In 5 years I hope to be in law school/have graduated from law school, it depends on the work I find upon graduating with my bachelor’s. In 10 years I would like to be in a profession that allows me to serve others in defense of human rights, and to truly be proud of the person I am. Also, I would like to have adopted 2 dogs from a shelter who will be my traveling companions.

What are some of your greatest passions?

Music, acting, performing, helping others, connecting with people, helping animals, nature…..the list really goes on and on — I’m a very passionate person.

Coffee or tea?

Right now – Coffee, but I’m attempting to switch to matcha green tea.

A real book or a Kindle/online book?

REAL BOOK!!!

Movies on Netflix or movies in the theater?

In the theater! I’m a huge movie buff.

Comedy or horror?

Comedy – I can rewatch my favorite comedies over and over again and still never tire of them.

The mountains or the beach?

Beach – even though I’m always constantly battling with the waves ripping my swimsuit bottoms off.

Summer or winter? (or fall/spring?)

Summer! I love the warm weather!

Read Clarity’s stories on The Tab here!

Caroline grew up on the East Coast, in Maryland, and now calls the Rocky Mountains home. She is a sophomore at the University of Colorado Boulder studying psychology and creative writing. Out of the lecture hall, she teaches vinyasa yoga at the CU Rec Center, enjoys a vegan lifestyle, acts as Recruitment Officer for Buffs for Reproductive Justice, is a member of Alpha Phi - Beta Gamma. You can find more of her journalism work over at TheTab CU Boulder.
Sko Buffs!