Culture > News

Meet 2020’s Emerging Leader Medal Recipient – Ananda Birungi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Meet 2020’s Emerging Leader Medal Recipient, Ananda Birungi. Ananda is an emerging leader with a diverse background, growing up in Uganda and coming to the U.S. for a better education. Ananda is being recognized as a young civic leader who has demonstrated excellence, has made a positive impact on the community and serves as an example for future generations. She believes all people have unique perspectives and skills, and if we work together, we can solve problems and make an impact.

Her Campus CU Boulder: “How did you become a leader?”

Ananda Birungi: “I’ve always been active in the communities I existed in, but my leadership really blossomed when I moved to a new country and I was trying to find who I was and where I belonged. I found community in leadership groups like the Student Council and when I saw my ideas implemented and being successful, I realized I had more leadership potential, so I started to become even more involved in activities I cared about.”

HCCU: “What leadership skills do you find most useful?”

AB “Listening. This is probably one of the most underrated leadership traits, but I strongly believe that an effective leader must first listen to understand the community’s needs and work with the community to solve issues.”

HCCU: “Who is your favorite leader? Why?”

AB: “I can’t really pinpoint one specific leader as a favorite, but I have to say that I am continuously motivated and inspired by the work that black women do in their communities. Whether that be in their families or on a global scale, black women are constantly raising the bar and moving the world closer to a more empathetic, liberating, and equitable place for all people.”

HCCU: “How would you describe your leadership style?”

AB: “I would say my leadership style is very community-based. I never want to present myself as someone who has all the answers, (because I definitely don’t); therefore, I really strive to ensure that what I am working towards incorporates the community. It’s all about working together with the community members and in that way other aspiring leaders can rise up too.”

HCCU: “What would you like to tell aspiring leaders today?”

AB: “Find a cause you care about and get those around you to care about it too. As much as possible, try and be in community with others who care about the work you are doing. It can be easy to get burned out (I’ve had my fair share of that), but I’ve learned that it’s better to focus on a few things that you are strongly passionate about and work towards those goals so that you don’t stretch yourself too thin and can achieve greater impact in those focus areas. Also, you are more powerful than your mind can fathom.”

Ananda has inspired Colorado as a whole to leap for success and to be the best we can be in our big and little ways. I hope this article inspires you to do ‘the impossible’ and branch out of the ordinary as Ananda did.

Ornella Musinguzi

CU Boulder '24

Ornella is a freshman and a writer for hercampus CU Boulder. She is majoring in Political Science, with a minor in leadership studies and philosophy. She likes to write about current events and news.
Sko Buffs!