body images 2020 01 16 food on plant on wooden bed tray 1843244jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 16 food on plant on wooden bed tray 1843244jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

One thing that gets me every morning is what to eat for breakfast. It’s about a half/half battle between am I hungry enough to actually eat breakfast, and do I have time to make something for breakfast that will actually hold me over for the day? So after trying a multitude of recipes and ideas, I have decided that make-ahead breakfast burritos are a great option (and an easy and fast one!!)

So here are some of my favorite make-ahead breakfast burritos that can be stored in the fridge or the freezer and are just 2 minutes away from a warm and wonderful breakfast.

Vegan Breakfast Burrito

I have to admit I am not a vegan, but after recently trying different vegan options I wanted to include an option for breakfast burritos.

INGREDIENTS:

1 packet Daiya Cheddar Cheeze Sauce or any other vegan cheese you would rather use.

2 cups frozen diced potatoes 

1 container Just Egg, you can always substitute with Follow Your Heart Egg (or you can use scrambled tofu) 

4 vegan sausage patties

Kala Namak

5 8-inch burrito wraps

Vegan butter or oil for sautéing

INSTRUCTIONS:

In one skillet, cook your breakfast potatoes according to the package.

In another skillet, cook your sausage patties according to the package.

Set the potatoes and sausage patties on a clean plate on the side. Remove one pan from the heat, but keep it to the side.

Wipe the remaining pan with paper towel if needed, add some vegan butter or oil and then pour in the egg. Scramble according to package instructions. Finish with black salt and fresh cracked pepper. Once it’s done, remove the pan from the heat and place to the side.

Heat your cheeze sauce in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, stirring halfway. 

Chop up your sausage. 

Now it’s time to assemble your burritos! Equally distribute potatoes, chopped sausage, scramble, and cheeze sauce in each one. Roll them up and stack them on a plate. 

Heat up the cleaner skillet over medium-high heat, make sure it’s nice and hot, add some oil or butter and sear 3 burritos, about 2 minutes until browned on each side. Repeat with remaining burritos, and you’re done! You can eat them now, or once they cool you can store them in the fridge or freezer and reheat when needed! To thaw from the freezer, cover with a paper towel and microwave for 1-1 ½ min flip, and repeat. Make sure to let it sit for a minute or 2 before digging it, it will be super hot!

Southwestern Breakfast Burrito

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1 large red onion chopped

1 large red bell pepper diced

8 large eggs beaten

1 can black beans

1/2 cup corn kernels

1/2 cup BBQ sauce

1/2 tablespoon taco spice mix

6 large whole wheat tortillas

Optional: Shredded cheddar, cooked bacon, salsa

INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onoon and pepper and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.

Pour the beaten eggs into the pan and let them sit until they’re starting to set on the bottom. Carefully fold them until they’re just cooked.

Fold in the beans and corn and cook until heated. Add the BBQ sauce and spices and carefully mix.

To freeze:

Cool the filling for 10-15 minutes. Use the tortillas at room temperature.

Before beginning with the assembly, prepare as many pieces of aluminium foil as you’re planning on freezing burritos.

Roll up each burrito tightly around the filling by folding in the sides and rolling up from the bottom, then wrap firmly in a piece of aluminium foil (check near the end of the video for a demo).

Freeze the burritos in a single layer. Once they’re frozen, store them in labelled zip-top bags. I usually freeze them in stacks of three, because that’s how many I typically need at a time.

To defrost and re-heat, unwrap and microwave on high for about 2 minutes until piping hot and steaming. (Please don’t microwave them in the aluminium foil, it will go up in flames – been there, done that.) OR heat in your oven preheated to 350°F for around 15 minutes.

To Eat Immediately:

Warm the tortillas. Use the filling while hot. Serve with desired garnishes, we love avocado, sour cream, cilantro and green onion.

Easy Ham, Egg, and Cheese Burrito

INGREDIENTS:

1 (11-oz.) container Hillshire Farm Premium Carved Slow Roasted Seasoned Ham, roughly chopped 

14 large eggs 

1/4 cup whole milk 

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 

1/4 teaspoon black pepper 

2 tablespoons butter 

1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided 

12 (10- to 12-inch) flour tortillas, at room temperature 

INSTRUCTIONS:

Pan-fry ham until browned. Set aside to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.

Add the butter to a large skillet set over medium-low heat. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost set. Set aside to cool, then fold in the browned ham.

Tear off 12 squares of aluminum foil. Place a tortilla on top of one piece of foil. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese on top, and then top with 1/2 cup of the ham and scrambled eggs mixture.

Roll the burrito by folding the sides in and then rolling tightly from the bottom up. Wrap the burrito snugly in aluminum foil, and repeat the process of filling, rolling, and wrapping the remaining burritos.

Freeze the burritos in a single layer on a baking sheet. Then transfer them to a gallon sized zip-top freezer bag.

I hope these recipes will be awesome and easy for you all to make so you can enjoy breakfast even when you’re short on time!

Katelynn Hughes

CU Boulder '21

Katelynn is currently a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in Neuroscience and Psychology with a minor in Business. She is an undergraduate student researcher studying alcohol use in adolescence and has worked with public policy around juvenile justice. She currently serves as the Events Director for the CU chapter on the Senior Exec board. In her free time she loves movie nights with her girl squad and cuddling with her poodle.
Sko Buffs!