This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Hi everyone! As we begin the fall semester and feel the familiarity of back-to-school, things for me are looking a bit different. This semester, I am studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain, and I am so grateful and excited for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Join me on my first week, which includes packing, traveling, and settling into this new chapter of my life.

Monday, August 30th

Today was stressful, more so than I would like to admit. I spent all day packing and cramming three and a half months of my life into two suitcases. My original flight was canceled last minute, and luckily I was able to change it, but this meant that last night was my last night at home before my departure. Tonight, I will be driving to the airport and taking off to the destination of my first layover: Miami.

Tuesday, August 31st

This morning, bright and early at 7 a.m., I arrived in Miami. The plane was freezing. After getting into an unexpected situation (going to the wrong hotel) and having to walk 20 minutes in the Miami heat (to get to the right hotel), I hopped in the shower and slept like a baby for three hours. The next few hours were spent drinking coffee and watching “Sex and the City,” and then I headed to the airport. I boarded my flight to Barcelona, and I finally felt the excitement about my upcoming adventure.

Wednesday, September 1st

Today, I arrived in Barcelona. My first reaction was, “I can’t believe I’m really here” and my second was “Wow, I am tired.” I met one of my new roommates at the airport while waiting for my bags, and when I finally got them an hour later, we met up with our entire group, since all 40 of us are on the same study abroad program. We all boarded the bus that took us to our housing, which was either an apartment, a homestay, or a residencia, which is similar to a college dorm. I am living in an apartment five minutes away from our campus, which is so nice. Spanish families live here as well, so it’s really cool being surrounded by people who actually live and work in Spain. When we got to our apartment, and I had a bit of a culture shock when I saw how small the closet was. I brought two 50-pound bags with me, so I had to do some cramming. After settling in, I went to grab a quick lunch with my roommates and three other girls who live in our apartment and are also on our program. Then, I took a nap, and it was fantastic. At around 5 p.m., we began our 40-minute walk to the program orientation. Following that, we ended up at a small restaurant for drinks and tapas, which are traditional Spanish appetizers that you share with the group, such as patatas bravas. Later, we found another restaurant for dinner, right by the Sagrada Familia. It was a bit more on the expensive side, but now we know where not to eat. Something interesting about Spain as well is that unlike in the US, you have to actually ask for your check when you are done eating because they won’t bring it otherwise. Overall, I had a packed, full day and now, I am so ready to sleep.

Thursday, September 2nd

After a much-needed sleep, I woke up this morning, ready to conquer the day. Sort of. I was slow getting up, but when I did, I got ready for yet another orientation. On the walk there, my roommates and I stopped by a local cafe to grab coffee and croissants. I had a chocolate croissant, and it was truly delicious. I felt like a real Spaniard! After orientation, I went on a program-organized bus tour of the city. It was pretty cool, but I was more excited to walk around it. I went on said walk when the bus dropped us off 50 minutes away from our apartment. After laying in bed and doing nothing for a few hours, I went to get a new SIM card for my phone since I will be here for a few months and I can’t use my phone plan from home. Then my roommates and I went out to dinner where we ordered a paella, which was both humongous and delicious.

Friday, September 3rd

Surprise, surprise, I had to attend yet another orientation this morning. But today, it was for school. I kind of forgot that I actually have to take classes here and that this is called a “study abroad” for a reason; in my mind, I was just here for a four-month-long vacation. Anyway, today I ran some errands to help prepare me for life here, such as grocery shopping and buying household necessities. It was pretty similar to doing the same in the US, but a lot less hectic. No one here is in any hurry, which I appreciate, especially at the grocery store. Today was also the day I learned how to use the Spanish metro, at least in Barcelona. It really wasn’t that bad, but I am not sure that I will be riding it alone any time soon. We took the metro to the Gothic Quarter, where we went on a tour, and then we went to dinner. I walked nine miles today, so needless to say, I am exhausted and ready for a good night’s sleep.

Saturday, September 4th

I’m not going to lie, I did absolutely nothing today, and that was a good thing. I had no obligations this morning, so I stayed in bed until 11 a.m., and aside from going to dinner, the only time I left the apartment was to go get a cup of coffee across the street. My roommates and I proceeded to spend the next three hours searching for plane tickets to other countries, which ended up being a lot more difficult than it needed to be. For dinner, we got Italian food (yes, in Spain), and it was delicious. Now, I am once again ready to sleep.

Sunday, September 5th

This morning, I did not leave my bed until 11:30 a.m. Was it necessary? No. But, I had nothing else to do, so why not sleep in a little? A few hours later, my roommates and I headed to the beach. We once again took the metro, so I think at this point we are pros. We spent a nice couple of hours there, and the water was so clear and beautiful. It was also quite hot out today, so getting into the sea felt very refreshing. Overall, today was a nice and relaxing day and a great conclusion to a hectic week.

All in all, I’d say I had an eventful first week. As classes begin and I find a routine for myself, I am sure that I will be living more of a “Spanish lifestyle”. But, for now, I need to get over my jet lag, find all the best cafes, and get settled into my new home (for the next three and a half months). I’m excited to see what this next week will bring – stay tuned for next week’s installment!

Masha Gradushy

CU Boulder '22

Masha is the Editor-in-Chief of HCCU and is a senior at CU Boulder majoring in Finance. When she's not doing school work or writing articles, you can probably find her working out, drinking an iced coffee, or scrolling through TikTok. She hopes you enjoy her content!