This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Mac Miller, Adele, Snoop Dogg, The Killers, and more have graced the stage of Boulder’s beloved Fox Theatre. Later this month, CU sophomore Keira Nicole will join this list of esteemed artists. 

At just 19, Nicole has established herself as an independent songwriter, singer, pianist, and ukulele player. She began her musical career in first grade when her mom enrolled her in piano lessons; since then, she’s never looked back. Through her impressive repertoire of choirs and acapella groups, Nicole discovered that for her, nothing conveys emotion the way music does. Now, she’s transforming her love and heartbreak into lyrics and melodies to show others they’re not alone in these emotions. 

“The whole concept of young love and how you can be head-over-heels for someone, then realize, it’s probably not going to work out…it’s something a lot of people can connect to. It’s something that is so, so strong,” Nicole notes. 

Inspired by Olivia Rodrigo and Taylor Swift, Nicole’s music is defined by vulnerability. Her songwriting stems from a cathartic feeling. When she experiences a heart-palpitating rom-com moment, lyrics like “you give me butterflies even to this day”  stream from her prefrontal cortex. Melancholic piano notes bleed from her when she undergoes a heart wrenching breakup. But despite the pain, her artistry inspires her to live more. 

Nicole emits a beaming smile when she says, “If I didn’t go through rough things, what would there be to write about? Bringing these experiences to the table helps create music people can relate to.”

However, Nicole’s emotional fearlessness did not come easy. 

“I spent my first semester freshman year basically locked in my dorm. I was so bored and depressed all the time,” Nicole reflects. “But my friends pushed me to join Music Industry Club, and I ended up finding a great community of people who are really, really passionate about music. Now I say yes to things.” As a fellow college student, I find it empowering that Nicole’s passion pushes her out of her comfort zone, inspires her to get involved on campus, and transforms her life perspective. 

Because CU’s Music Industry Club ignited her to take her music career seriously, Nicole advises all aspiring musicians to also look into joining the club. Furthermore, because she says the biggest challenge in the music industry is getting people to listen to your music, her connections at CU have helped her enter the music industry. CUMIC and Big Table Records, CU Boulder’s student-run record label, provided Nicole with the pathways to begin live performing. Now, Nicole is on her way to releasing a single on streaming platforms and producing an album.

When asked what tips she would give any young, timid musicians, Nicole confidently answered with three compelling words: “Go for it”. “You got to climb that mountain,” she cautioned, “but once you make it over the top, you never know what might happen.” 

Keira Nicole will be performing at CUMIC’s Big Table Records Artist Showcase on Oct. 19th at the Fox Theatre. To support her, you can purchase tickets here. You can also follow her Instagram to stay up to date on the releases of her original songs and covers.

Keeley Haynes

CU Boulder '27

Keeley Haynes is a first year staff writer at CU Boulder's Her Campus chapter. She reports on all things entertainment, culture, music, and politics, but loves to channel her passion into opinion pieces as well. Keeley is a freshman at CU Boulder majoring in Journalism and Political Science. She discovered her passion for the media while writing for her high school's news publication, The Range. In addition to Her Campus, Keeley is a member of the Women in Philosophy club, Community Council, and CMCI Student Government. Outside of the writing room, you will find Keeley reading, swimming, or crying to A24 flims. Her favorite and most expensive hobby is attending concerts; the best show she has attended is Taylor Swift's reputation Stadium Tour. Aside from T.S., she listens to Phoebe Bridgers, The 1975, beabadoobee, Simon & Garfunkel, and Kendrick Lamar.