Leanna Cromie: More Than Just the President of Kappa Alpha Theta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

What motivated you to run for president of Kappa Alpha Theta?

What motivated me to run for President of Theta was the loyalty of my sisters 

and the leaders before me.  Theta had given me so much that I wanted to give 

something back and help my chapter grow in numerous aspects. Prior to 

becoming President I was Sisterhood Chairman. With that position I got to see a 

lot of the inter working’s of my sorority and I wanted to learn more about every 

aspect of it.

How did you feel after you had been elected?

I was ecstatic after I was elected Chapter President. It had been a goal of mine to 

get on the executive board of Theta. I was honored that members of the sorority 

felt that I was worthy of leading such a large group of women. My big sister was 

the President before me and I wanted to follow in her footsteps.

What are the main duties of being a sorority president?

The main duties of being a sorority President include overlooking other officers, 

holding executive meetings, meeting with advisors and campus representatives, 

and being an approachable person to anyone inside the chapter. On a daily basis 

I check e-mails, make sure the house is up to date, make sure no forms are due 

for that week (if they are then I fill them out and submit them), and ask fellow 

officers for updates with their positions and if they need help.

Do/Did you like the job?  What was most rewarding?

I am the outgoing President which means within the next month a new officer 

will step in and replace me as President.  This past year has been the most 

rewarding year of my life. I was able to see the in’s and out’s of my chapter and 

lead them through the good and the bad.  Being President has given me so many 

life skills that I wouldn’t attain if it weren’t for this opportunity.  The most 

rewarding part of my job is when a member would come to me for advice or to 

vent and would leave feeling relieved.

Theta has won some awards.  What are they?

Theta has won many awards over the past year and a half. Last year we won 

Chapter of the Year for 2010, President of the Year for 2010, Outstanding 

Sisterhood 2010, Outstanding Academics 2010, Bronze Kite Award at 

Convention, and Outstanding Academics 2011. We will have our National 

Convention Awards in Tucson, Arizona this summer. Our specific chapter is 

nominated for many awards and we are all so anxious to see who wins what.

Favorite Theta memory so far?

My favorite Theta memory so far is probably our last social event. We did a mixer 

with the fraternity Kappa Sigma called “My Big Frat Greek Wedding”. The event 

itself was a three day event. One night of the event was a bachelorette party, the 

next night was a rehearsal dinner, and then the last night was a reception at the 

Walrus. I had never been to the Walrus before that event and I had a blast. All of 

the girls wore white dresses. It was a great last social event as President and all 

of my friends were there. 

What would you say to the person taking your place?  What advice do you have for people that want to be future sorority presidents?

I would tell the person who is taking over as chapter President to be confident in 

your decisions and to be a good listener and role model.  I would tell her that 

she was put into this position because people believed she could lead 228 

women to success. I would tell anyone who is interested in being a sorority 

President that this was the best year of my life and I wouldn’t change it for the 

world. Fighting for what you believe in or what you want to do will make you a 

stronger person, we are all born to lead in some way.

Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.