Halloweek is here, folks, and we’re calling all the monsters. It’s time to watch horror movies, eat tons of candy, and skip class. (what, did I say that?) Even though it’s chilly outside, some of us are feeling the heat. Halloween requires several costume ideas, and that can get both creatively draining and overly expensive (Spirit Halloween owns college students’ bank accounts!) Luckily for you, I’ve come up with a few easy, fun, and no-stress DIY Halloween costumes that utilize pieces you already have in your closet. It’s the season of the witch, ladies.
- Georgie from “It”: Poor, poor Georgie. Before he got sucked down the sewer and eaten by a clown, George rocked some adorable, instantly recognizable rainwear. For this costume, find a yellow raincoat, black leggings, and boots of your choice. If you really want to sell this one, carry a red balloon. “You’ll float too.”
- Princess Diana: Diana Spencer is arguably the most iconic woman of any generation. Period. Her most infamous fashion moments have gone re-viral this year with the season four release of “The Crown”. For a super easy costume, put on a sweatshirt, bike shorts, high socks, and sneakers to replicate her “going out” look. Ba-bam. Elegant as a queen.
- The Little Lad: If you weren’t stuck on Berries and Cream TikTok for two weeks, who even were you? Seriously. I envy you, but still. For this costume that will remind us all of our past trauma, all you need is to style your hair in a bob, put on a white collared shirt, vest, and knee-high socks. As a bonus, bring some Starbursts and speak in your best English accent. Oh, and do the little lad dance!
- Any Insurance Company: This is one of my more brilliant ideas. Dress as Jake from State Farm with your go-to red shirt and khakis. If you’re really feeling lazy, write “Nationwide” on a piece of paper and stick it to your side. Nationwide is on your side, peeps.
- Any “Grey’s Anatomy” Character of Your Choice: Head over to Goodwill and take a look in the scrubs section. There are usually about fifty choices of scrubs that range from $5-$10. Grab your scrubs, and embody your Grey’s character of choice. Be sure to drunkenly shout, “So, pick me! Choose me! Love me!” if you want all the attention at the party.
- Meme Bernie Sanders: This is probably best for outdoor events where you require something warm. Bring out your big coat, mittens, grandpa glasses, and a mask for good measure. If you really wanna go haywire, find a metal chair at the event and sit with your legs and arms crossed. Feel the bern.
- Mia Wallace from “Pulp Fiction”: This was my impromptu 2020 Halloween costume, and I somehow landed second place in a costume contest. You’ll need a white button up, black pants, and preferably, a black wig. Bring a milkshake and dancing shoes if you’re feeling particularly vivacious.
- Wednesday Addams: “Woe to the republic.” Wear a black dress on top of a collared white shirt, put on some black tights, and top off your look with Doc Martens. Tie your hair into two braids, wear some black lipstick, and you’re good to go.
- Olivia Rodrigo: God, it’s brutal out here. Steal some stickers, scatter them on your face, and rock a bright colored lip. Next, toss on a spaghetti-strap top and plaid skirt. If you want a bonus point, carry around some Sour Patch Kids just to let everyone know you’re sour and sweet.
- Holly Golightly from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”: Channel your inner Audrey Hepburn. All you need is a black dress, a string of pearls, and a tiara. Finally, grab a croissant at one of the campus markets, and head out to a party. You’ll scream “classy”.
Stay safe out there, ladies, and remember that you look fabulous!