Culture > News

Kylie McKee: Insight into Organizing the Conference on World Affairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The Conference on World Affairs is this week, April 9th-13th. It is an annual event where the best and brightest from all professional fields come and communicate in panels and discussions. It’s also a lot of fun.

Source // Kylie McKee

This is Kylie McKee, a senior International Affairs Major at CU with a Minor in French

She had a huge role in organizing the Conference on World Affairs this year and wanted to give insight into how cool it is.

Source // Boulder, CO

What is the Conference on World Affairs?

The conference on World Affairs is a huge conference that happens once a year in April that is open to the public and students. The conference is made up of different subcommittees (international affairs, human condition, science and tech, disruptive tech, arts and design, women and girls, politics and media) that focus on certain subject areas and in the fall, they work on inviting panelists and planning the panels for the week of the conference. I am a part of the International Affairs committee.

Also to add: The conference has been going on for 71 years and continues to be a spotlight event for the Boulder community and campus.

Source // Boulder Daily Camera

What is your role in organizing CWA?

During my freshman and sophomore years, I just attended panels. But during my junior year, I was recruited by some friends and they told me to join so I took the leap and wish I did earlier. During the 2018 CWA, I was a student ambassador (liaison to a panelist), a student driver (CWA type Lyft), and a student volunteer (everything else in between). For the 2019 CWA, I took on a big leadership role as a student co-chair for the international affairs subcommittee and throughout the fall semester I worked on inviting panelists, planning panelists, and sorting out logistics for the spring. During the CWA this year I have produced panels, I had the great opportunity to serve as a moderator on a panel with several international affairs experts, and I am taking in my final CWA.

Source // Conveners.org

What impact has the Conference of World Affairs had on the student body and society as a whole?

The conference brings together global leaders, entrepreneurs, artists, scholars, and other intellectuals and creates a space to have conversations on current topics and pressing matters. This creates a space for the student body to interact with these panelists and stir a discussion on topics that may be interesting to students or something they may want to learn more about. There is a large community presence at the conference, but I think we need more student involvement and attendance at panels. But as of right now, I think this conference has a positive impact on society and provokes conversation with members of society that we may not otherwise have the opportunity to talk with and hear from. This conference is a rare event that only happens on CU’s campus and it is such a great opportunity for students, community members, and panelists to interact and converse.

Source // Facebook

What is your favorite memory of CWA?

1. My favorite memory of CWA from 2018 was driving around panelists and getting to hear all their different input while in the car. It was such a fun experience to casually converse with panelists and get a sense of what they bring to the table. I also got several networking opportunities. 2. This 2019 conference has been incredible and we are halfway done. My favorite memory of this conference was getting to moderate a panel. Moderating a panel is an invitation-only opportunity and when invited, you are in charge of moderating the panel and making sure the conversation flows well. I was called up the day of, to moderate a panel and took the opportunity and was put on a panel on the Arab Spring and the current state of the Middle East. It was probably one of the best panels I’ve been to. Through moderating, I received several business cards and potential job opportunities and that showed me, just how great this conference is. Panelists want to engage with students and hear what they have to say.

Source // Boulder, CO

What are some of your favorite or most anticipated panels this week?

Out of the Panels I have attended this week my top two have been: – Global Hegemony: US v EU v Russia v China    – This panel had a powerhouse of panelists and the conversation between the panelists was so incredible. – From Arab Spring to Arab Winter    – Not being a Middle East specialist, it was interesting to moderate this panel and hear the different perspectives from the panelists and their ideas/views on the Middle East. I am looking forward to: – Reaching the Top of Your Game (THUR 4/11)    – This panel will have Chris Borland (former NFL player), Conor Lyne (Irish Alpine Skier), Hope Solo (World Cup champion and Olympic medalist) and Christopher M. Thomforde – Global Migration and Crimes Against Humanity (THUR 4/11)    – Discussing strategies for combating genocide, war, climate change, gangs, racism, economic inequalities, and other issues that are driving people from their homes. – Attacked, Jailed, Expelled, and Killed: The Hazards of International Journalism (FRI 4/12)    – Discussing what it’s like to be an international journalist and all the issues one may come across while simply doing their job – US Foreign Policy: From the Outside Looking In (FRI 4/12)    – Focusing on how other countries perceive US foreign policy abroad and its impacts on the US. – Athlete Activism: Sports as a Force for Empowerment, Social Activism, and Gender Equality    – Starring Hope Solo discussing her career and what she’s done towards gender equality in sports and her different social activism initiatives.

The Conference goes until April 13th, and also our chapter of the National Panhellenic Chapter has made a contest for all academic Greek life students to compete in. If that applies to you, check in with your Panhellenic Delegate, if that does not apply to you, go to a panel anyway because this is an amazing academic and networking opportunity.

Love you, babes,

Louisa

Louisa Brott

CU Boulder '20

Louisa Brott is a senior BFA student currently majoring in Cinema Production and minoring in French at the University of Colorado Boulder. In addition to HerCampus she is a Panhellenic woman at CU. Louisa hopes to one day direct a blockbuster film that focuses on the misrepresentation of gender in Hollywood films and hopes to create a production studio with a slide and a nap pod that sheds light on important social issues. You might see Louisa on campus pulling all-nighters in the ATLAS editing lab, or working at the Starbucks on the Hill. She has insider information about what Starbucks drinks to order and what to pass on. Moodboards, Chick Flicks and dogs are the way to her heart, and she won't complain if you happened to send her a Summer Fridays mask.
Sko Buffs!