Kimmy Crawford: Spotlight Bound

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Meet Kimmy! She’s fun, outgoing, and one of the best performers that CU has to offer. Born and raised in Boulder, she has the biggest heart for music and is following her passion by studying Vocal Performance with an emphasis in Musical Theatre here at CU. She’s been in tons of performances and her most recent role as Mimi in Rent was mind blowing! She’s an amazing all around student, friend and performer and will only go on to do bigger and better things when she graduates from the Music School!

What year are you here at CU?
Junior in the School of Music (“senior year round one”)

What got you into theatre?
I used to be a jock and a cheerleader. I couldn’t stand musicals to be honest. My high school language arts teacher practically begged me to audition for the spring musical my junior year, Jesus Christ Superstar, and my first lead role, completely inexperienced and untrained, was Mary Magdalene (natural talent?! ha)

How long have you been performing?
Only five short years. (3 years training vocally)

What’s your favorite part about performing in front of an audience?
I love the energy the audience gives me in response to my performances. I feed off of it. I love being vulnerable. Anything can happen on stage, and the fact that the audience gets to capture any and all moments firsthand makes me work even harder!

What is your favorite type of role to play?
I love playing the sexy “ingénue”! I LOVE unleashing this side of me. I LOVE comedic roles as well… I’m VERY sassy :)

You were in CU’s production of Rent, what else do you and CU have in store for us? Unfortunately I was not cast in this years fall musical Spelling Bee (but that is coming up in November). However, because I study classical singing, I am in the Le nozze di Figaro Opera Chorus, and will be auditioning for more opera roles in the spring. Be sure to check out the numerous straight plays the Theatre Department is putting on!

Where do you see yourself in 5 years with this talent?
I hope to obtain the highest level of education I can get with a singing degree, but I want to perform. I would love love love to perform on Broadway, or any off-Broadway company that travels. That takes a lot of time, talent, and patient, so I will definitely start at the local level!

Who are your biggest influences?
My mama is most definitely my biggest influence! I have never been more supported, more encouraged and more loved by this incredible woman. My dad sang a lot when he was young. Ever since he passed away 9 months ago, he has become more of an influence and inspiration to me when I sing. It’s like I’m singing to my very own guardian angel that is with me wherever I go.

What advice would you give someone that wanted to get into this?
I would say no your own boundaries and don’t be afraid to take risks. If you can’t do these two things, then the stage is not for you. And to anyone who is interested in solely singing, I’d tell them to go for it! It takes time and patience, but with the right training, the outcome will surprise you!

When you’re not rehearsing, where would we find you?
I like to party and I love to dance! I also love hanging with my friends and KAO sistas as much as possible. So, combine those three together and that’s where you’ll find me. And I also love sleeping, and don’t get enough of it! And working out! Gotta stay healthy! It takes a lot of discipline being a singer, so it’s hard to find the right balance between fun and resting my voice.

Ali Chastain is a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at CU Boulder. Even though her passion is in Advertising, Journalism has always been a close second, which is why she is stoked to be a part of Her Campus! Originally from St. Louis, MO, she calls Boulder her home away from home. She is a part of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority and is also employed at American Apparel. When she is not working or studying, she loves to run around her favorite trails in Boulder, stalk music blogs, and put her foodie-ness to the test at new restaurants.