This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

All Smiles

Lately it feels as if there’s been nothing but negative energy surrounding me and those around me. Who knows, it might have just been the midterm stress. Well  whatever it is, it needs to stop and go away. It’s important to be able to notice the bad vibes that surround you and brush them off your shoulders. Here are a few things that I think would help eliminate the negativity, and restore the peace and happiness.

“Bye, Felicia!”

One thing that had really been weighing me down were the people that I surrounded myself with. You’d be surprised with how big of an impact those around you have on your personal wellbeing. When another person is stressed or just constantly in a bad mood, it eventually rubs off on you, no matter how hard you try for it not to. Now I’m not saying to just eliminate all the people who have ever been in a bad mood from your life. I’m just saying to distance yourself from them for your own wellbeing. For some people, spreading negativity is not just a phase, it’s their personality. These are the types of people that you should stay away from. It’s good to be able to notice these things and these types of personalities because you can’t live a positive life when your surrounded by negative people.

POSSITIVITY IS KEY

Not only is it important to stay away from those who bring negativity into your life, but it’s also essential for you to remain positive. Somedays this may be harder than others but in reality, being mad, stressed, and negative does not benefit you in any way. Plus, stressing and pouting causes wrinkles and you’re too young for that!

CHIN UP BUTTERCUP

Negativity is contagious. Once one person has it everyone surrounding that person is susceptible to it. And once someone is in a bad mood, it’s really hard to get them out of it. If it’s you that is in a bad mood, even though it may seem like nothing’s going your way, take a couple deep breaths and remember that it’s just a bad day, not a bad life. Tomorrow is a new day with a fresh start.

BE KIND TO OTHERS

Everyone gets so caught up in their own lives and their own emotions that we forget that those surrounding us have feelings too.  Whether you’re having a bad day or you see someone around you having a bad, its important to keep in mind that kindness can go a long way.

LOVE YOURSELF AND THE LIFE YOU LIVE

Don’t let others dim your light. If you are happy and positive about your life, it will be harder for others to get to you. Even if you feel as if you’re not necessarily on the track that you wish you were on, remain positive and try to see the good in everything.

Life may not always be rainbows and sunny skies, but that doesn’t mean that it has to be grey skies and bad vibes. There’s always something to celebrate and be happy about, something that will turn that frown upside down. Don’t be so hard on yourself, you are doing great! Keep your head up and keep moving forward!

“Happy girls are the prettiest” – Audrey Hepburn

CU Boulder CMCI // Public Relations // Fashion Enthusiast // Lover of Chocolate  "Enjoy the little things" 
Caroline grew up on the East Coast, in Maryland, and now calls the Rocky Mountains home. She is a sophomore at the University of Colorado Boulder studying psychology and creative writing. Out of the lecture hall, she teaches vinyasa yoga at the CU Rec Center, enjoys a vegan lifestyle, acts as Recruitment Officer for Buffs for Reproductive Justice, is a member of Alpha Phi - Beta Gamma. You can find more of her journalism work over at TheTab CU Boulder.