This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Let’s be honest, as an immature young adult, sexual education class was probably pretty close to your idea of hell. As a sophomore in college, it wasn’t too long ago I was subjected to learning about my “changing body” from my gym teacher playing videos that were probably three times as old as I was.

Source: Tenor.com 

Current laws regulating sexual education in our state are outdated and are simply no longer applicable to our generation. It is about time to modernize the system and Colorado is on the brink of change with colorado house bill 19-1032.                                                                             Source: Tabletmag.com

This bill would ban “abstinence-only curriculums” that are proven to be ineffective. Abstinence will still be taught, but also with safe sex options. The new curriculum would cover topics such as consent, birth control and pregnancy, prevention of sexually transmitted disease, “healthy relationships and sexual orientation.”

Source: Pinterest

Sex ed was uncomfortable for a lot of us, but for the LGBTQ community, it is an extremely uncomfortable experience. In 2015, fewer than six percent of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students age 13-21 reported that their health class had included a positive representation of LGBT-related topics (Guttmacher Institute).  

Source: Pinterest 

Even though I don’t personally identify with the LGBTQ community, I don’t believe that should stop me from fighting for what I believe is right. Why should certain people be denied access to health information based upon who they love? This bill is highly contentious and needs all the support it can receive. Currently, it has passed through the house and is now being heard in the Senate. Click here to support.

Let’s make a change,

Rudy   

Rudy Joon

CU Boulder '21

Rudy is a sophomore majoring in Strategic Communications with a focus of media design in the College of Media, Communication and Information, and double-minoring in Journalism and Tech, Arts, Media. She is from Saugatuck, Michigan and will always have a place in her heart for Lake Michigan, but equally loves the mountains. Her passion for helping others got her involved as a CMCI ambassador and a writer for Her Campus. Off-campus, you can find her hiking in the Flatirons, eating kale chips or running 5 minutes late.