This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Do any of you have big plans for the future? Maybe you imagine yourself fighting injustice in the courts or curing cancer? Well, think again. According to the United Nations Scientific Panel, in 12 years, Earth will be past the point of no return regarding climate change. The globe will be hit with extreme weather, food shortages, the decimation of coastlines from rising sea levels, and mass coral reef extinction.

The UN’s official climate change report issued October 8th from their 2018 convention announced a grim future for our planet and all of humanity.

Damir Sagolj/Reuters

The report indicated that the effects of climate change are far more critical than previously thought. According to the New York Times, avoiding the catastrophe would involve revolutionizing the world economy at speed and scale that has “no documented historic precedent”. Scientists found that if greenhouse gas emissions are sustained at their current rate, the atmosphere will heat up as much as 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit.

CBS News

2.7 degrees sounds pretty insignificant, however, the impact could be disastrous. It is predicted that by 2040 we will see mass die-offs of coral reefs, submerged coastlines, and food shortages contributing to mass poverty. While the scientists of the report say that it is technically possible to transform the economy in a manner necessary for avoiding this damage, it is politically very unlikely.

Doug Mills/The New York Times

For those stubborn individuals who are still convinced climate change is a hoax made up by the Chinese, you might want to take a look at the scientific evidence supporting a climate disaster as soon as 2040. President Trump, being a firm believer in the climate change “hoax”, has pulled the U.S.A. out of the Paris Agreement, leaving America responsible for an increase in carbon emissions.

New York Times

The report states that renewable energy, which sources 20% of power today, would have to increase 67%. Energy from coal has to drop between 30%-40% of its current source. However, our president vowed in his policy platform to increase the burning of coal when he withdrew from the Paris Agreement.

Daily Express

According to ucsusa.org, the U.S. is the leading country on Carbon emissions behind China and plays a key role in the warming of our planet. Due to the beliefs of our president, the world as a whole is losing precious time that could be spent attempting to reverse these greenhouse effects before it’s too late.

Flicker.com

It’s not too late YET, there’s still 12 years. We are the generation responsible for fixing the human race’s environmental mistakes.

Lea Brody-Heine

CU Boulder '22

I am a freshman at CU Boulder, but a true Oregonian at heart. I am very passionate about politics, especially women's rights issues. In high school I was Layout Editor, Copy Editor, and Staff Writer for my school's news paper, The Pinnacle. I am a huge tea drinker and if you ask my roommate, she'll say I have enough tea on my desk to supply someone for a lifetime.
Sko Buffs!