“Is It Getting Hot In Here? (Assertive Tinder Edition)”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Tinder… where should I start with this? We all know that Tinder is a dating app mainly used for hookup culture (although 41% of people in relationships say they found their partner on Tinder). In the case of finding a “sneaky link,” it’s difficult to open up a conversation with a practical stranger, despite having a profile that shows a controlled perspective of one’s life. With this in mind, I wanted to conduct a test to see what type of pick up lines on Tinder would receive a positive response.  

When in doubt, use a pun

Pick up line: “Damn *insert name*, I’d climb you like a tree”

Inspiration: Person’s name was related to trees 

Spice Level: 🌶️ 

Where it went from there: The individual sent a flirty, but not graphic, message back. 

Recommendation: Absolutely. It opened a channel to be flirty, and I had control of the conversation for my own levels of comfort. Due to not being explicit, I would recommend this for those who like to have control over conversations. It’s especially easy to incorporate someone’s name into a pun! 

Paging Doctor One-Liner…

Pick up line:  “If I pass out, will you give me mouth to mouth?”

Inspiration: Person is in the medical field

Spice level: 🌶️ 

Where it went from there: The person at hand was very polite and honest. I was too intimidated to pursue it further or come up with anything clever.

Recommendation: One word: butterflies. This response was the ideal outcome that made me quite melt. If this actually happened, I wouldn’t be mad in the slightest. I would most definitely *swoon.* If the profile shows the person to be in a particular work field that spikes your interest, jump on a pickup line that incorporates their occupation, and make it witty!

Bring ‘em out of their shell

Pick up line:  “Quiet in the streets, freak in the sheets?”

Inspiration: Personality was described as quiet

Spice level: 🌶️ 🌶️ 

Where it went from there: The individual thought my gender may be different because I was bold. Which, shows an indirect view on how masculine-presenting individuals are expected to be the only ones out there who are seen to be assertive. 

Recommendation: I most definitely threw this person off their game, but this line could open up a spicy conversation depending on what you hope for as a result. In this indication, this person was more polite than anything.  

Comment on the little details

Pick up line:  “Sick choker, bet I can choke you harder”

Inspiration: The individual was wearing a very fashionable necklace in one of their photos

Spice level: 🌶️ 🌶️ 

Where it went from there: The individual responded politely, then grew annoyed that there was no response from me after 43 minutes after they responded.

Recommendation: It depends on who your audience is. In this case, no. I got the sense that this individual is insecure in their sexuality and can’t handle the situation if there isn’t an immediate reaction. I also believe they may have thought they would get a reaction if they instead presented themself to be a more dominant person. I did not appreciate the language and sense of confrontation. It was a definite no for me. 

Keep it forward

Pick up line:  “Can you tutor me in sex education?”

Inspiration: The individual stated they were a tutor

Spice level: 🌶️ 🌶️ 🌶️ 🌶️ 🌶️ 🌶️ 🌶️ 

Where it went from there: This individual responded with one of the hottest responses yet. A flirty and sexual banter ensured the opening line

Recommendation: In the case of hookup culture, I would recommend this liner. It backfired on me in a good way, it gave the other person control of the conversation and allowed the other person to demonstrate their specialties along with sexual interests.

In conclusion, I would say to stay cautious, but also have fun with your pickup lines.  If you choose to be assertive, keep in mind that you may get mixed reactions to bold statements. In my experience, I mainly received positive feedback. There were a handful of disappointing responses, but overall it was a decent turnout. Be safe, and happy swiping!

Content written by various anonymous CU Boulder writers