Cameron Smith-Barcelona Spain Europe Abroad Friends Girls Smiles Sunglasses City.Pdf
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

The Introverts Guide to Meeting People in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Going to college can be both a scary and exciting time. For many people, it’s their first time living apart from their parents, eating in a huge dining hall, and moving in with a stranger. College can also be a time of opportunity, especially to meet people who have potential to be your lifelong friends. 

Leave Your Door Open to Your Dorm

Leaving the door open to your dorm definitely ranks as the #1 thing I wish people had told me about meeting people in college. During the first few weeks after move-in, most people will stop by and introduce themselves. This provides a great opportunity to meet people in your dorm, which is the easiest way to make friends! Just remember to lock your door when you leave. 

Find What You’re Interested in

Many colleges have a wide variety of extracurricular activities for students to participate in ranging from clubs, to student government groups, to sports teams. Bonding through shared experience is one of the easiest ways to get to know people, so why not join a group you’re interested in and find someone who cares about the same things as you!

Attend Events for Your Major

Many majors provide opportunities for students to network with professors and meet other students in their major by hosting events such as lunches and coffee hours. Not only is this a great way to meet people, but it also helps to familiarize you with other places on campus you might not visit every day, which makes campus feel a bit more like home. 

Attend Sporting Events

Sporting events are a great way to meet people on campus because they’re designed to bring people together! Although COVID-19 may impact the number of games you can attend in person, watching a football game with a group of socially distancing pals is sure to bring you together. 

Let Friends Introduce You to More People

College is all about finding new ways to put yourself out there and try new things, but if you’re an introvert this can be one of the most intimidating elements of going to school. To alleviate some of that pressure, let the connections you’ve already made make it easier to branch out and meet more people. Starting in the dorms is a great way to create a smaller network of people you can then branch out of!

Meeting friends in college doesn’t have to be intimidating. Stick to this guide and you’ll make lifelong friends right away!

Chloe is a sophomore at the University of Colorado, Boulder. She has double majors in English Literature and Sociology with a Leadership Studies Minor. In her free time, she enjoys reading, working out, spending time with friends, and eating good food.
Sko Buffs!