Career

Interview With Singer/Songwriter Betsy Lane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Meet songbird Betsy Lane from Nashville, TN. I had the opportunity to interview this empowering female singer/songwriter this fall. Country music lover or not, Betsy Lane is sure to brighten up your day with her music and bubbly personality! 

Her Campus Cu Boulder: “What drew you to music? I know you grew up in Nashville, the Music City, how has that shaped your songwriting and perception of music?”

Betsy Lane: “I grew up in a house that was covered in song – whatever we were doing, my dad was singing. He made up melodies about things as simple breakfast, pajamas, and our belly buttons. The creativity was endless with him. I would definitely say that shaped my love of music and my innate desire to create without boundaries.”  

HCCU: “The music industry is tough, especially in Nashville with so many aspiring musicians. What are some ups and downs in your career, and what kept you going?”

BL: “That’s true! It can be super challenging at times. I’m lucky in the fact that my parents live in Nashville so I have that support system close by. The hardest part of my career thus far has been when I was diagnosed with Vocal Nodes & Muscle Tension Dysphonia two years ago.  Basically, my vocal cords had calluses on them and the wrong muscles were being used to help me speak & sing so I was in a lot of pain every time I tried to produce sound. After the diagnosis, my career was put on pause and I spent the next 18 months in physical therapy & speech therapy re-learning how to talk “correctly” because my vocal muscles needed to be rehabilitated.  I’m learning that “recovery” will be on-going for the rest of my life, but I have a new perspective and so much appreciation for my voice and what it does for me.  I learned that my voice is truly a gift that can be taken from me at any moment and now that I have it back, I want to use it, love it, and respect it. That’s what is keeping me going.” 

HCCU: “Your top songs are ‘Southern Crazy’, ‘What About 18’, and ‘This Time’. What song of yours is your favorite and why? Is it one of your top songs or one that didn’t get as much attention?”

BL: “Hands down, my favorite is a song I released called “Lookin’ at Rings.” I wrote it about the moment I knew I wanted to marry my then-boyfriend-now-husband.  Like most girls, I had a Pinterest board full of diamond rings but for the first time, I was scrolling through them thinking, “Okay… this isn’t just a dream anymore. This is real life.” I played it for him the next day and when I finished, he looked up at me with the biggest smile and tears welled up in his eyes. After that moment, as cheesy as it sounds, we had this unspoken love & commitment to one another because we both understood what was going on in one another’s head.” 

HCCU: “I heard you’re famous in Europe as your song, ‘Southern Crazy’, made the top charts. Were you able to perform in Europe? What did that experience teach you about yourself as a singer/songwriter?”

BL: “Haha! I wouldn’t say famous but I have a very sweet devoted following there. I have played a number of shows across England and a few in Ireland over the last few years. I’ve always cared about telling my story through song, and it’s so fun to connect with people through that.  It’s wild that I can go to a completely different country and look up and see all of these girls singing along to songs that I wrote. It’s pretty bizarre and amazing at the same time. That experience has taught me so much, but most importantly it’s been a gentle reminder to write what is true and someone will connect with it, even if it’s halfway across the globe.” 

HCCU: “Which artist do you aspire to be like and why?” 

BL: “I’ll be honest and say that this answer changes the more I evolve and grow. Ask me 10 years ago and I would have said Taylor Swift and only Taylor Swift. It makes me laugh a little to think that so many girls grow up “wanting to be the next Taylor Swift” because I 100% identify with that. And while I still love and admire the artist, the woman, and the writer that Taylor is, my vision and goals have changed over time. I have a newfound deep respect for artists who are able to make a living without being level 10 superstars and still maintain some kind of “normalcy” in their lives. Because of that, I really admire Ben Rector.  He writes what is honest, puts on a killer live show without being too theatrical, and makes everyone believe that he is his most authentic self behind a piano or guitar.  His music truly speaks for him, – and that’s what I desire as an artist, too.” 

HCCU: “You’re such an inspiring woman, what tips do you have for college women about self-discovery and being true to yourself?” 

BL: “Oh my gosh, you’re so kind to say that. Personally, first, I’d say get to know Jesus.  I mean, really know him like a friend…. like you know yourself.  Having confidence in who you are because you know who created you is foundational for the woman you are becoming.  Also, any decision I made, whether it be in dating or social life or my career, I always checked myself and thought, “Will I be proud to tell my future husband and future kids about this one day? Are the ways that I’m acting and the words that I’m saying setting me up to be the truest version of myself?” If there’s anything that says, “mmmm… not so much” then I would do my best to adjust.  And last, as cheesy as it sounds, write out affirmations for yourself! “I am capable. I am smart. I am kind.  I have confidence in my ability to _____ today. I carry love & light with me and in me.” I mean, the list could go on and on and on and it can (and will) change with time. Write one for yourself and tape it to your mirror or your car dash or make it your phone background.” 

“I share all of this to say that these things were goals and I messed up a lot. I had to have a lot of grace for myself in college – and I’m learning now at 26 that self-discovery never really ends, it just evolves with you.” 

HCCU: “How did your college experience shape who you have become?”

BL: “I went to college four miles from my parents’ house. I’m the youngest of three so by the time I was heading off to college my parents were very ready to be empty-nesters. Despite being 10 minutes from home, on move-in -day, they took my house key and said, “We don’t want to see you until fall break! You’re in college now. Bye!” I was mortified to not have that “cushion” to land on but it pushed me to really find myself there. It forced  me to put roots in a community that wanted to help me grow. And while I learned a lot in the classes I took, I value the friendships I made the most. You’ll forget the stuff you learn in all of the classes you take, but you’ll never forget the people who were there with you.” 

HCCU: “What advice do you have for college women pursuing their dreams?”

BL: “Go for it! Do it all. There will likely be a lot of people who want to do the same thing as you, but that doesn’t make what you bring to the table insignificant. It actually gives you an incredible opportunity to collaborate with similar dreamers, form communities and ultimately lift each other up.  My songwriting professors always said, “A rising tide lifts all boats,” and I didn’t see it fully play out until just after my senior year of college. It’s true that if you’re in it together, you’ll rise together.” 

HCCU: “What are your core values and how do they guide your life?”

BL: “Be grateful. Be kind. You never know what’s going on in someone else’s mind.”  

“After living through a family trauma my senior year of high school, I was forever changed by the sentiment, ‘you never know what someone else is going through, be kind. Always.’  It affected my life in such a way that I look at people with more compassion, empathy, and a kindness I never understood before then.”  

HCCU: “You sing a lot about love, what has it taught you about who you are? Many college women go through the ups and downs of love, what advice do you have for them?”

BL: “Love is a force that can mend you, break you, heal you, and harm you. It is cruel yet compassionate. Respect it. Appreciate it. Don’t give it too much power but don’t underestimate it. One day you will meet the right kind of love and it will fit so perfectly and so effortlessly that you won’t have to wonder anymore if ‘this is it’. You’ll just know.”

Betsy Lane teaches us that it is important to be humble, passionate, and true to yourself and that self-discovery will continue throughout our lives. For me, I try to live by those values and I can assure you that your outlook on life will be much more positive! 

Olivia McKeen

CU Boulder '24

Olivia is a contributing writer for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a freshman majoring in Marketing and hoping to get a certificate in social responsibility and ethics. In her free time, she enjoys going on adventures, going on hikes, and hanging out with friends and loved ones.