An Inside Look Into the TikTok World: Interview with Creator Paulina Torres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Do you want to know more about the world of TikTok from a creator herself? Paulina Torres is an 18-year-old TikTok and YouTube creator who shares all of the details with us. She is a fun and vibrant person who loves spending time with her boyfriend, with whom she also creates tons of content. She has over three million followers! In her free time, she loves to read and learn, as well as come up with many fun video ideas. 

Her Campus CU Boulder: “When did your content creation journey start? Has Tik Tok changed it?”

Paulina Torres: “It has been four years [since I’ve started creating content.] It has changed it a lot. I started out on YouTube and downloaded TikTok a year ago, where I started making videos. It’s really different because you do short videos on TikTok and it’s more of a daily thing; Youtube isn’t. It’s a different vibe. It has changed how I create my content a lot in general.” 

HCCU: “Would you say there’s a science to Tik Tok? Is it a happy blend between creativity and trends or more of one than the other?”

PT: “I’d say there’s a happy blend between the two. Sometimes you don’t need to think it through too much. It can be random and still go viral. There have been videos where I didn’t put a lot of thought into it, and that I didn’t think had the viral factor still blow up. But there’s also [those factors such as] specific captions so people will comment and boost the algorithm as well as other things. There’s definitely a blend between the two.”

Paulina also shared her tips on those viral factors. She says that for a video to blow up she recommends making it longer than 15 seconds and tailoring your caption to something that happened at the end. This will increase both watch time and audience retention, leading the video to do better!

HCCU: “Why did you start creating content?”

PT: “I started creating content because I wanted to have a voice. Growing up I always felt excluded from others such as friends, and even family. I was pretty shy also. I wanted to be a voice and try to help spread a positive message. My goal was just to help people, overall. I feel like I have done that because I often get messages from people saying ‘your videos make me happy,’ ‘you make me smile,’ as well as others, which is ultimately what I wanted to do.”

HCCU: “How do you think content creation has changed you as a person?” 

PT: “I feel like creating content has changed by making me more outgoing and allowing myself to just be me. It has also helped me not really care about other people judging me because I’m putting myself out there. I’m a lot less shy and I can talk to people more easily.”

HCCU: “Has TikTok/content creation brought more opportunities to your life?”

Paulina says TikTok and content creation have definitely brought opportunities to her life. Some of the ones she shared included moving to LA and even joining a content house! She says she has also gotten more brand deals and has earned money. Paulina tells us that TikTok has also helped grow her audience, and that her’s and her boyfriend’s couples channel on Youtube gained over 600,000 subscribers in one year because of TikTok.

HCCU: “If you could tell your supporters anything, what would it be?”

PT: “If I could tell my supporters anything, it would be that I love them all so much and really appreciate them for all of the love that they give me. I’d tell them to always chase their dreams because they can really achieve anything that they put their mind to.” 

HCCU: “What is your favorite part of TikTok? What is your least favorite?”

Paulina’s favorite part of TikTok is getting to show her creativity through her videos as well as interacting with her followers. She talks about how she loves replying to them, especially through TikTok’s “video reply” feature. She finds it more personal and loves putting a smile on her followers’ faces.

Her least favorite part is how mean people can be on TikTok. She says that even though there’s a lot of support on the app it is definitely the social media platform where she receives the most hate. Paulina feels that other creators struggle with this as well, and TikTok is an app where people are more likely to comment hateful things when compared to other platforms.

HCCU: “What would you say to people who want to create content?”

PT: “Go for it. Chase your dreams. Even if there are so many creators out there, there will still be people who see you and you will stand out to them. Don’t feel discouraged just because a lot of people are doing it. Feel more motivated to bring something new to an audience.”

Where can you find Paulina?

Paulina’s TikTok handle: @paulinat

Paulina’s personal YouTube channel: “Pau Torres”

Couples YouTube channel: “Pau and Fabio”

Paulina’s Instagram handle: @ipautorres

Five of Her Tik Toks You Need to Watch: 

Prank on my Boyfriend: “Just Admit It.”

“He Kept Hearing Me Wrong, or Was He?”

“It Took Too Long for You to Call Back.”

“Promiscuous”

“Bop It.”

Be sure to check out Paulina’s account for a good laugh. Not only is she hilarious, but she is a very sweet and down to earth person. Her videos range from funny skits to pranks and everything in between.

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.
Sko Buffs!