Indie Songs For the Romantically Struggling Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

For me and many others, music is a form of self-expression and a way to escape from the ever growing stresses of life. I have music playing basically 24/7, and yet I am underwhelmed every year when I see my Spotify Wrapped total minutes not being as high as I was expecting. My freshman year of high school, I started to dip into the indie rock genre and I never looked back. One of the most prominent themes in this genre is love. And while I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to such, that doesn’t mean I can enjoy music about it. These songs are not only great representations of the indie rock genre, but are relatable when it comes to their lyrics surrounding crushes, failing relationships, and everything in between. There are so many great songs, artists and lyrics in this genre, so here are my top five songs you should check out.

5. “Chinatown” by Wild Nothing

I heard this song in the first installment of the “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” trilogy on Netflix,and my life has never been the same. It perfectly captures the anxious feeling of knowing your relationship is in trouble but trying to do what you can to save it. When I listen to this song, I like to imagine that I am in a coming of age movie set somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. 

4. “So Sad, So Sad” by Varsity

Similar to “Chinatown”, this song is great for its lyrics that capture the nauseating feelings that come with a relationship not working out. Its lyrics point at a lover that misses the one that got away, and the confusion and regret that occurs after things end. Failed situationship warriors–I’m looking at you. 

3. “Archie, Marry Me” by Alvvays

This song expresses a sort of one-sided desperation for marriage. While it may appear as a happy love song, it is evident that only one person in the relationship wants marriage. Reminiscent of ‘60s music, this song is angsty and hopeless in the best way possible.

2. “Shut Up Kiss Me” by Angel Olsen

This is another song about a toxic and failing relationship (I really seem to be exposing myself with these songs here…). It looks into the mind of the narrator, and their need to fix and carry their relationship on their shoulders. If you are in a happy relationship, this song might not be for you.

1. “Make Out” by The Greeting Committee

This band has so many great songs, and “Make Out” just recently dethroned my former favorite song, “[insert song title here]”. Pretty life changing, if I do say so myself. Lead singer Addie Sartino said in an Instagram Q-and-A that she wrote this song the night she met her current girlfriend. Hopeful and exciting, this song encapsulates the butterflies in your stomach/sweaty armpit feeling of having a new crush. This is a good contender for a song to post on your Instagram story in hopes that your crush will see it. 

If you like these songs, you should definitely check out these artists’ other music. The indie rock genre does a great job of encapsulating the feeling of youth, love, and hopefulness. They are great to listen to with the windows down, wind blowing through your air, or with your headphones on in your bedroom late at night. So, if you find yourself reflected in any of these songs or spend a lot of time making up fake relationship scenarios in your head, go check out the genre.

Karina Sercombe

CU Boulder '25

Karina is a contributing writer to CU’s Her Campus chapter for the 2023-2024 school year. This is her first year writing and she enjoys writing about all things film and pop culture. Karina is a junior studying Cinema Production and hopes to one day combine her love for writing and film. Outside of school, Karina has worked for local film festivals and hopes to continue doing so. When not watching movies or writing for Her Campus, she enjoys reading, traveling, or playing soccer.