This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

One room with all your favorite artists? It’s the American Music Awards!

Thank you to VIP Concierge for giving me the opportunity to experience history in the making. From the red carpet to the stage, all the artists were giving us their A-game. The red carpet was filled with bright colors! Selena Gomez looked flawless in her lime green cocktail dress, and Lizzo gave us meme content for days. It was not an award show you wanted to miss, especially with all the tea being spilled.

AMAs

Lights, camera, showtime!

There was so much energy in the room you could tell we were excited for the show to begin. The show had performances from the likes of Selena Gomez, Lizzo, Taylor Swift, Kesha, Post Malone, Halsey, Billie Eilish, Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes. They even included some legends like Ozzy Osbourne, Green Day, Christina Aguilera and Shania Twain.

Selena Gomez’s First Performance In Over 2 Years

The show opened up on an emotional note: Selena Gomez looking divine in a long black gown. We watched in silence as she sang her heart out to her new single “Lose You To Love Me.” She later changed the tempo to her more upbeat hit, “Look At Her Now,” to match her new shiny leotard outfit change. Looking and feeling confident, she was everyone’s spirit animal that night!

Artist of the Decade Award

As some of you may know, a lot of drama surrounded Taylor Swift’s right to perform her own songs at the AMAs this year. However, she persevered and showed up ready to play! Taylor Swift has been a role model for so many of her fans and has created a safe place for artists in the music industry, so it doesn’t come as much of a surprise that she was awarded the Artist of the Decade Award. 

Some might think she’s too young, but I say that’s exactly why she deserves it because even at such a young age she has accomplished so much and empowered so many people. You go T-Swift!

Taylor Swift’s Performance

I grew up listening to Taylor Swift, and I definitely consider myself a fan! Taylor Swift has always been a great performer and on the night of the AMAs, it was no different. She started with my favorite, “Romeo & Juliet,” and then went on to sing a crowd favorite, “Shake it Off.” She definitely shook off the drama and gave us her all!

Lizzo Giving Us All The Feels

Oh, how we love us some Lizzo! She performed her heartwarming song, “Jerome.” We all had our flashlights on, swaying back and forth, captivated by her voice.

She is only ever herself and no one else; that’s why we love her so much! She left an inspirational post on her Instagram, cheering on her fans to never give up on their dreams! 

Growing up watching these artists on TV, it was a check off the bucket list for sure! Every performance was well thought out and cultivated to engage the viewers. The American Music Awards does not shy away from delivering greatness. With the best of the best in both artists and performances, it continues to be the number one fan-voted award show!

Eden Marquis

CU Boulder '21

Hi I love food!
Sko Buffs!