Culture > News

I Read The News So You Don’t Have To: October 4-12, 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Trigger Warning: Mentions of Suicide

I get it–reading the news can be hard, boring, and for some, a waste of time. As a political science and journalism student, I’m kind of forced to read the news. And, as a political science and journalism student, I don’t really mind that. I’m lucky enough to have been taught proper news literacy, and I’m invested enough that I don’t see reading the news as a chore.

However, I know this isn’t the case for many. And why should it be? We have our own lives, and our own worries, and reading the news can be, simply put, depressing. 

This is why I’ve decided to combine all the most notable stories I’ve read this week into a single, simple article. This way, you can feel informed, but don’t have to scroll through countless websites or get confused by Instagram infographics while achieving this. 

Abroad Updates

Ukraine

As of October 11, 2022, President Zelensky of Ukraine asked the Group of Seven (G-7, or an intergovernmental organization consisting of the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Canada, and Japan) for more “modern and effective air defense systems”. 

This ask from Zelensky is in response to Russian missile strikes on the 10th of October that killed at least 19 people. So far, the leaders in G-7 have pledged military and financial support for Ukraine. 

In other Ukraine updates: The United Nations office of human rights said that Russian bombardments that seem to deliberately target citizens and infrastructure do count as war crimes. The current death toll in Ukraine (while believed to be much higher than documented) is around 6,300. 

For more information on current Ukraine updates, click here. 

For a breakdown of Ukraine-Russia relations, read my previous article here. 

North Korea

North Korea is also causing more unrest, as leader Kim Jong-un is currently testing a record number of missiles this year. In the past two weeks, 12 missiles have been fired, including two on October 9th. 
For more information on how Japanese, South Korean, and North Korean citizens feel about these missile tests, click here.

Thailand

In Thailand, a mass killing occurred on October 6th in a childcare facility in Nong Bua Lamphu Province. It was the worst mass shooting by a single shooter in Thailand ever, and 36 people were killed–24 of them children. A deeper investigation into Thailand’s gun laws, gun culture, and the gun market is to come. 
For more on the Thailand mass shooting, click here.

Iran 

Protests over the killing of Mahsa Amini by Iran’s morality police are rolling into their fourth week. 

Read this more in-depth HerCampus article to get a true background and understanding of these protests, because, like Ukraine, this international issue can’t be explained in a short snippet of the latest news. 

Protesters have been killed and beaten, and internet access for Iranians is being disrupted heavily. I highly recommend keeping an eye on Human Rights Watch’s Iran page for more updates.

Here’s how the United States can help support Iranian women. 
Here’s how individuals can help.

Climate Updates

Trouble With Droughts Abroad Continue

The Netherlands is having water troubles, and while this wouldn’t be the first time for the country, it’s still a crisis: while Dutch infrastructure is usually focused on pumping or flushing water out of the flat and boggy country, they now need to figure out how to keep the water in. 

Don’t necessarily care about the Netherlands? Think again–the Dutch are the number two exporter of farm products in the world. 

For more information about the current drought in Europe, click here. 

Struggle in the Aftermath of Hurricane Ian

Hurricane Ian ravaged Florida in the beginning of October, and the damage is extensive. The storm is blamed for at least 119 deaths in Florida, with many by drowning. Of those who died, older Americans were killed disproportionately. Two of these older Americans, men in their 70s, killed themselves after seeing the damage done to their property. 

For more information about the storm of Hurricane Ian itself, read here. For more information about relief efforts, read here.

The Comfort of Pigs? More Important Than You May Think 

The Supreme Court is considering a case that may require pork sold in California to come from farms spacious enough for pigs to move around freely. 

For the official oral argument transcripts, click here.

Some justices, including Neil M. Gorsuch, think that legislation in regard to animal cruelty is the responsibility of Congress, not the Supreme Court. 

The law in California requires a pig to be housed in a space with at least 24 square feet of space to be sold as pork, which is an enormous size for many pork facilities nationwide. Thus, this law reaches far beyond California’s pork trade, which is why the Commerce Clause of the Constitution is coming into play with the Supreme Court. 

(For more information on the Commerce Clause of the Constitution and how far-reaching it can be, click here). 

Besides economic implications, the case also deals with the morality of animal cruelty and factory farms, which have been proven to be abhorrent to the environment.  This is definitely a case to keep your eye out for.

Airplane Talk

The International Civil Aviation Organization, a subagency of the United Nations, has convinced many nations to “drastically lower emissions of planet-warming gases” from airplanes by 2050. The world’s wealthiest are likely to be the most affected by this news, as the richest 20 percent of people are responsible for 80 percent of flights taken.  

For more information on this agreement, read here. 

Midterm Updates

The United States midterm elections are just around the corner, and the polls, predictions, and campaign ads are running rampant. 

(What’s a midterm election? Find out here). 

The 2022 midterm elections are proving especially stressful for those invested in politics, as the previous reversal of Roe v. Wade means that if Republicans gain power in the House of Representatives, the Senate, or in their state legislatures, more states could be losing access to safe abortions. 

Midterms often “swing against the president’s party”, so it is likely that Republicans may be victorious this election season. However, many polling places are predicting “historic levels” of turnout this year, so this may not be the case. See below to figure out how you can get involved and participate in this election, no matter who you will be voting for. 

The number of candidates of color for the Republican party is rising. While they have a while to go before matching the diversity of democratic candidates, the makeup of Congress is steadily becoming more diverse. 

The “New York Times” marks these states to watch on election day: Georgia, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Click here for a breakdown of swing state elections. 

As always, be wary of polling reports and predictions: polling can be biased in so many ways, and the only way to really be sure that you’re contributing enough to election day is through voting. 

Check your voter registration status, find your polling place, and check the date of the Midterms here.  

Random News Dropbox 

“Don’t Look Up”, In Real Life

On October 11, 2022, NASA conducted “humanity’s first planetary defense test” by smashing a “refrigerator-sized aircraft” into an asteroid with the goal of changing the asteroid’s orbit. The test was wildly successful, and this mission is the first in a likely long history of “space defense”. 

For more about the DART mission, click here. 

Steps Towards Nationwide Marijuana Legalization

President Biden pardoned thousands of those convicted of marijuana possession on October 6th, and this will clear all federal charges of possession since 1970. 

This pardon will not apply to the selling or distribution of marijuana, and officials say there are no people in federal prison who are actually serving time for only marijuana possession. However, this may help with access to opportunities like housing, education, and employment for those with simple charges. 

If you want to listen to President Biden speak on the matter, click here. 

Alex Jones Trial Comes To A Conclusion

Conspiracy theorist and “Infowars” host Alex Jones was found liable for defamation in claiming that the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was a hoax. 

As of October 12, 2022, it was decided that he should pay $965 million to those who suffered from this claim. According to AP, it’s not yet clear how much of this he can afford.

For how his conspiracies affected those near the Sandy Hook shooting, click here. 

Remember that news tends to have a negativity bias, and thus the worst stories are often the most newsworthy. This does not mean that there aren’t good things happening in the World. Check out Good News Network for a pick-me-up!

Genevieve Andersen is the President of HCCU, as well as a co-Campus Coordinator. As President, she oversees the senior executive team, executive team, national partnerships, and assists with coordinating events. She manages meetings, recruitment, campus communications, and chapter finances and is one of HCCU's biggest fans. Since she joined the club in 2021, she has found a passion for writing on subjects like politics, law, feminism, environmental justice, and local features. Outside of HCCU, Genevieve is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder, majoring in political science and French and minoring in journalism. Besides magazine writing, she has published and assisted with political science research, with her latest project involving international environmental policy being based in Geneva, Switzerland, where she worked with the United Nations Environmental Program and various European environmental NGOs. When she is not busy reading member's HCCU articles, you can find Genevieve on a ski or hiking trail, hanging out with her friends, playing with her dogs, or staring at her pet fish wishing he could be played with.