This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Whether you’re writing to your professors, your boss, advisors, or anyone else in the professional world, being able to write a good email is a great skill to have. Here are some tips that have helped me improve my email writing skills. (Note: this list was inspired by the list from Grammarly, which I highly recommend checking out!)

Use the correct greeting.

Depending on who you’re writing to, you’ll want to address them correctly. When in doubt, “Dear so-and-so” is always a safe option. Make sure to also use “Professor,” “Doctor,” etc., to correctly use the recipient’s title.

Keep it short and sweet.

Your email should be clear and concise. It’s important to state who you are (if the recipient hasn’t met you before), what your reason for emailing is, and what you are requesting from the recipient (a meeting, a letter of recommendation, etc.). A closing line is usually good to include too–something like “Thank you for your time” is always a good option.

Spell check.

Spelling and grammar mistakes are easy to make and difficult to catch! I recommend having a friend read over your email before you send it, as an extra precaution.

Use a closing.

I’m personally a fan of “Best,” but you could use any closing signature you prefer. Make sure to sign your emails, too! Your first and last name is usually the best way to sign the email unless the recipient knows you as something different.

I hope these tips were helpful and prepared you well for your next professional email. Happy writing!

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.
Sko Buffs!