Culture > News

How to Vote When You Can’t Vote – A Guide to Getting Involved When You’re an International Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Everywhere we go, we hear the message “go vote”, “register to vote”, but what do you do when you can’t vote? That’s why I decided to write this about five ways you can get involved and participate in the 2020 election without having to vote. 

Educate yourself. 

Knowledge is power. If you want to get involved, you have to gain a basic understanding of how voting works, who can vote, who is running, and who you align yourself with. If you don’t have a foundational understanding of voting, you can’t be sure about the information you are sharing with peers. Therefore, open Google, read articles, and watch videos. 

Call bank.

Do you ever get phone calls that tell you to vote for someone or ask you about what you would like to change in your community? Well, that’s what call bankers do, they volunteer for political campaigns. They are given a list of phone numbers to call and convince voters to support their candidate. This is a good way to get the candidate you want to be elected. Instead of voting, you are mobilizing people who can vote with information that could sway them towards the candidate that most represents you and the issues you feel passionate about.

Tell your friends to vote.

I know this might sound cliche and you might already be doing this, but telling your friends to vote will make them more likely to vote. If you can, give them more information about voting, resources on registration, and inform them about the candidates (let them pick which candidate to support). You could be a guide for them.

Get involved with a campaign.

According to Harvard Law school, getting involved in a campaign is a good way to participate in the election process. Find a candidate that you align with, reach out to them, and check their website. Then find out how you can volunteer for them. Whether it’s sending out emails, attending events, or text banking. Once you have a candidate you believe in, you can easily get the votes by volunteering and voicing support for their campaign.

Utilize social media.

According to the vice article ‘how to make a political impact when you can’t vote’, social media is an instrumental tool that can be used by anyone. Use your social media as a tool to mobilize your followers and inform them about the value of voting. This year has been chock-full of social media voter advocates. You can advocate for yourself and the importance of voting through posts and stories. Remind your followers to register to vote and spread information about the many options there are to vote for. Social media is a great tool that can help you motivate your followers and friends to vote.

According to the Department of homeland security, about 9,130,000 people in the United States cannot legally vote but are directly affected by the people in positions of power. It is important that everyone gets to play a role in advocating for themselves and who they feel should be in leadership positions. I hope you find this article helpful and participate in the process of elections.

Ornella Musinguzi

CU Boulder '24

Ornella is a freshman and a writer for hercampus CU Boulder. She is majoring in Political Science, with a minor in leadership studies and philosophy. She likes to write about current events and news.
Sko Buffs!