This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

‘Tis the season to get tatted. You’ve found a design you love, you know exactly where you want it, and you’ve found an amazing artist. You’ve set up your appointment, and now you’re anxiously waiting for the big day. Here are some things for you to keep in mind before you show up to your appointment. 

Establish Payment

This is usually done during your consultation, but always double-check the agreed price and how you’re going to pay. Are you using Venmo, or does your artist prefer cash? Prices for tattoos vary from artist to artist. Some artists have an hourly rate — meaning that they charge by the hour — and others charge depending on multiple factors: size, difficulty, time, or a combination of these. Some places or artists require you to pay a deposit prior to your appointment, while others don’t. Make sure you know how you’re paying and how much you’re paying before going in. That way, you avoid any confusion and miscommunication, and on the day of, you can focus on your tattoo and overall experience. 

Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes - Find & Share on GIPHY

Wear the Right Outfit

By outfit, I mean the kind of clothes you wear, not your fit. When picking out your clothes, be conscious about where your tattoo placement is. If you’re getting an arm tattoo, wear something without sleeves. If you’re getting a thigh tattoo, wear a loose skirt or pants. And if you’re getting a rib or back tattoo, you might want to consider pasties. You want to make sure that you’re comfortable in every sense of the word. Depending on what you’re getting, you can be there for 30 minutes or three hours, and you’ll want to be as comfortable as possible. Keep in mind that your skin will be tender and sensitive afterward. You also have to feel comfortable and secure in the sense of how much you’re okay exposing. A good artist won’t ever make you take off more than you need to or feel okay with.

Eat Before

I cannot stress this enough: eat before. It can be a snack or a full-on meal but don’t go in on an empty stomach. Low blood sugar is no joke. For my first tattoo, I was so nervous and excited that I didn’t eat anything, and I almost passed out as the artist was telling me about after-care. It is not fun; I can tell you that. 

Season 9 Sanctuary GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants - Find & Share on GIPHY

Numbing Cream

This isn’t something artists really advertise, but if you’re worried about the pain or you’re getting your tattoo in a well-known painful spot, then you might want to apply numbing cream to the area before you go in. Personally, I believe that pain is part of the process. I have a low pain tolerance and I avoid hurting as much as I can, but a painless tattoo isn’t as appealing to me. The little bit of regret I get as soon as it starts is part of the experience. But, each person is different. If you think you need it, there’s no shame in that. As I said, you have to be comfortable. 

Scared Animation GIF by Jacqueline Jing Lin - Find & Share on GIPHY

After-Care

Your artist will tell you about the after-care sometime in your appointment, but it serves to have it all ready beforehand. 

One of the things you’ll need is a healing ointment. Every artist recommends Aquafor, and it’s great. You can find it anywhere and in all sizes. You’ll also need a fragrance-free lotion. Your tattoo will peel a bit at first, and this will keep your skin moisturized. Another thing to get, if you don’t already have it, is a mild anti-bacterial soap. 

After-care is fairly simple: wash your tattoo with the soap (don’t scrub), then pat it dry with a clean towel or paper towels. Apply the ointment in a thin, even layer, and top it off with the lotion. Tattoos take around two weeks to heal, during which you can’t go swimming or under tight clothing and try to avoid exposing it to direct sunlight. Again, your artist will go over this with you. So don’t worry about forgetting anything. 

Tattoo Flashing Sign GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

A tattoo is a permanent fixture on your body. Only get one if you want one. Tattoos are also personal — they’re yours and no one else’s. If you want something meaningful or silly, it’s up to you. Your body is a temple, and you’re the deity it is dedicated to. Decorate your temple whatever way makes you happy.

Mariana Bastias

CU Boulder '25

Mariana Bastías is the Director of Outreach for Her Campus CU Boulder, where she is in charge of coordinating volunteer and social events as well as connecting with local businesses for partnerships. Her articles will range from profiles to movie and book reviews to current events to her own experiences. Mariana is double majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology, with a minor in Business, at the University of Colorado at Boulder. She is the current manager of Brewing Market Coffee & Tea Emporium on Pearl St. Mall. As an aspiring novelist and poet, she has published a short story, Midnight Adventures, in Meridian Creative Arts Journal in their 50th edition, and she is currently working on a novella for her honors thesis. Whenever she can, Mariana likes to curl up with a book and a cup of tea and read the afternoon away. Her favorite novel is “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde, and she always pairs it with a cup of Earl Gray. Mariana is also an avid coffee drinker; as a professional and at-home barista, she’ll experiment with flavors and roasts. As a writer, Mariana loves filling notebooks with stories, poems, and observations of the world around her, as well as ideas for future articles.