Style > Beauty

How to Protect Your Face While Wearing a Mask

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I will admit it, I have been a victim of the dreaded “maskne”. Never in my life have I had painful acne on my chin and cheeks, dry skin around my mouth, and extreme redness on my face. As soon as I began to wear a mask regularly to work and school, my face started to suffer. 

We cannot avoid masks, but we can protect our face. I researched the best ways to protect your face while wearing a mask so you don’t have to worry about “maskne” on top of your other stresses!

Wash and moisturize your face twice a day.

It is even more important to wash your face now, and I would increase the frequency of your skincare routine. Dermatologists recommend using a moisturizer with Ceramides, Hyaluronic acid, and Dimethicone (which helps create a barrier to protect against skin irritation). Try the CeraVe Daily Moisturizer. It is lightweight and is meant to restore your skin’s protective barrier.

Apply lip balm frequently.

When you are wearing a mask, it is common to have chapped lips more often. Keep your favorite lip balm in your purse, school bag, and in every room of the house! I like to use the EOS Smooth Stick Lip Balm. They come in packs of two, so you can have one in your house and one in your to-go bag!

Don’t wear makeup.

I know this is a scary thought…but no one will see most of your face when it’s under a mask! If you are used to wearing foundation, try to apply it only to your forehead and under eyes, avoiding your chin and cheeks. The mask does not give your face enough space to breathe, so adding makeup on top of that will only make matters worse. 

Try not to experiment with harsh skincare products.

Keep your skincare experimentation to a minimum. I would recommend using non-fragrant, hypoallergenic products that are light on the skin. If you try products that are too drying, it will make your skin worse when wearing a mask. Stay away from Retinoids and exfoliants right before you have to wear one. 

Wear the right face mask.

You want a mask that fits snug against your face but is also made of soft, breathable fabric. I recommend finding a cotton mask. You can read more about the best face mask to purchase here!

Wash your cloth mask frequently.

Treat your mask like your clothes. Wash it after every one to two uses! I like to have four to five masks on hand so I can throw my used mask in my laundry basket at the end of the day and have a fresh one to use the next day.

“Maskne” is no fun. Trust me, I’ve been there, done that. But, it’s not too late to prevent the horrid symptoms. Hopefully these tips help!

Kelley is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus CU Boulder. She is currently a senior majoring in journalism and minoring in sports media. In her free time, she likes to workout at her local CrossFit gym, hang out at coffee shops, and explore the mountains.