Life > Experiences

How My Horrible, Random Freshman Roommate Turned Into My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

For most incoming college freshmen, picking a roommate is a daunting and extremely important decision. After all, this will be the person you share a tiny 10 x 10 room with for an entire year. The last thing you want is someone with whom you don’t get along with.  

For me, I wasn’t that concerned about finding a roommate. I missed the first deadline where you get to pick your roommate, usually from Facebook groups or mutual friends. I actually didn’t find my roommate until the very last day possible, only a few weeks before moving into my dorm. At that point, I didn’t really care who my roommate was, I just wanted to be at college already. 

After I found out who my roommate was, we exchanged a few Instagram DMs. Besides that, we didn’t speak at all until move-in day. I remember during the week leading up to move-in day frantically trying to figure out if me and my roommate, Kristin, would get along or just be civil living together. I had no idea. I was moving into a tiny room living with a complete stranger. 

When we met on move-in day, it was awkward, but no more than normal when meeting someone for the first time. We were being extra nice to each other and trying to be as laid back as possible. But, when our parents finally left and we were alone for the first time, things were definitely uncomfortable. 

The first few days consisted of a lot of small talks, asking to make sure every little thing was OK with the other person, and tip-toeing around each other, trying not to disturb or upset anyone. 

On the first night, after a day filled with unpacking and welcome activities, Kristin decided to go to McDonald’s. At the time, I was incredibly new to the Boulder area and had no idea where the nearest McDonald’s was. Kristin just got up and disappeared for an hour or two, leaving me alone in our dorm room on the first night. I had no idea what to do, especially since Kristin was the only person I knew by name in my entire building. I immediately called my friends from my hometown to complain about how weird Kristin was and how strange it was that she didn’t invite me to go. 

This instance completely changed my opinion of Kristin, at the time, and turned me away from wanting to be her friend. Looking back, this decision of hers was out-of-line. 

woman eating hamburger
Photo by Szabo Viktor from Unsplash

After the McDonald debacle, I started to hang out with a girl from my high school and quickly found a small friend group of fellow Buffs in another dorm. I spent pretty much all of my time in Sewall, the other dorm building. I was rarely in my room, and when I was, it was just to sleep or get a change of clothes. 

I honestly didn’t really talk to Kristin for the entire month of September. I couldn’t see us being friends so I didn’t really bother with trying to be her friend. When I was in the room, it was definitely like walking on eggshells, but it was manageable and liveable. That’s all that mattered to me. 

A little over a month into the semester, I decided to go to a tailgate before a football game with some girls from my dorm hall and Kristin. I was extremely hesitant and almost didn’t go. I hardly knew these girls but I wanted to get to know them since they lived on my floor. 

That tailgate completely changed my perspective of Kristin, and we instantly became friends. We started hanging out more and actually talking to each other. We got to know each other, probably way more than normal, and became attached at the hip. 

three women holding each other and smiling and laughing
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

The remainder of freshman year was spent with Kristin by my side. No matter what we did, she was there. I am about to finish up my junior year right now, and Kristin and I have lived together ever since and will live together senior year. We hardly fight and have remained just as close, maybe even closer, as we were freshman year… we even joke about the McDonald story now. 

I completely judged Kristin without getting to know her when we moved in freshman year. I took one small instance, blew it up, and let it define what I thought of her. I can’t imagine what my college experience would have looked like if Kristin had not been by my side. 

Freshman year can be an incredibly stressful, lonely, and confusing time, especially when you don’t know anyone else. And remember, never judge someone for one small thing that they do.

Isabella Silber

CU Boulder '22

Isabella is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is a Strategic Communication major with an emphasis in Public Relations and a Journalism minor. When she is not flipping through fashion magazines, she can be found obsessing over a pair of sneakers, running up the Flatirons, and reading in a nearby coffee shop.