How Marie Kondo’s Folding Method Changed my Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

You’ve probably heard of or seen Marie Kondo’s new Netflix show “Tidying Up” (if you haven’t seen it you should, it’s life changing). While there are many lessons to be learned from Marie Kondo’s wisdom on tidying up from only keeping what “sparks joy” to storing your things in clear containers, one lesson stood out to me the most: how to fold your clothes.

The clothes folding advice given on the show was, at least for me, the easiest and fastest way I could begin to tidy up my place. My room is not huge and I don’t have a lot of storage but I didn’t realize just how ~messy~ my room was until I folded all of my clothes according to Marie Kondo’s instructions.

While Marie Kondo has a folding method for everything from socks and underwear to towels, I wanted to highlight her method for folding pants and shirts (long sleeve and short sleeve) because I think these are the items we most commonly throw into drawers without thinking about how we are organizing them. Here is an example of what my drawers look like after the Marie Kondo method:

First: the long sleeve shirt

Second: the short sleeve top

Third: pants

Honestly, folding my pants according to this method allowed me to fit almost twice as many things into one drawer. It does not take long at all to organize your dresser in this way and it helps you feel like your room is more organized and spacious. Not to mention, it makes getting dressed in the morning extremely easy since all of your clothes are in plain view.

Good luck and happy folding!

Shoutout to Pinterest and GIPHY for all the images and GIFS!

Abby Tubman

CU Boulder '21

Abby has lived in Longmont, Colorado for most of her life. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder majoring in Integrative Physiology with a certificate in Public Health. Currently, she works for a nonprofit organization called the NYAGI Project that works to improve prenatal care in remote areas of the world. When she's not in class you can find Abby at the local Starbucks or spending time outdoors.
Sko Buffs!