kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I’m sure that most of you have heard of JUUL and maybe even used one. But, for those who aren’t familiar, JUUL is a type of e-cigarette that contains nicotine and is marketed as a tool to help people quit smoking. However, many people, mainly young adults, and adolescents have started using JUUL as part of a new trend. Although e-cigarettes are an FDA approved nicotine cessation tool and are a better alternative to tobacco products, the CDC and the JUUL company warns against starting to use products containing nicotine if you aren’t using them already. Also, the Surgeon General’s report from 2016 concludes that youth should stay away from e-cigarettes.

E-cigarettes can still have many effects that are detrimental to the health of young people. The number one effect being from nicotine. According to the CDC, nicotine impairs brain development, specifically in the areas of the brain that control mood, attention, learning and impulse control. Because the brain continues to develop until around the age of 25, these effects are particularly harmful to the adolescent and young adult age group using JUULs.

Additionally, the American Journal of Medicine found that people who use JUUL or other e-cigarettes are four times more likely to start using tobacco products that those that don’t use vaping products. This statistic is especially worrisome since tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable deaths.

We are still learning about the long-term side effects of vaping. However, researchers have found that aerosol in e-cigarettes is far from harmless and may contain cancer-causing chemicals according to the CDC.

If you are looking for resources to help stop using e-cigarette or tobacco products, CU Health Promotions has nicotine cessation kits. You can call their office at 303-492-2937. You can also contact the Colorado QuitLine at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or visit smokefree.gov. Check out CU’s page about how to quit using nicotine products here.

If you want to read more in depth about the effects of JUUL and other e-cigarettes on health check out the CDC’s website by clicking here or Truth Initiative by clicking here.

Abby Tubman

CU Boulder '21

Abby has lived in Longmont, Colorado for most of her life. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder majoring in Integrative Physiology with a certificate in Public Health. Currently, she works for a nonprofit organization called the NYAGI Project that works to improve prenatal care in remote areas of the world. When she's not in class you can find Abby at the local Starbucks or spending time outdoors.
Sko Buffs!