Life > Academics

How I Navigated Going into College as an Undecided Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

When I first started college, I had no clue what to major in. At this time, I felt that whatever I chose must be what I would do for the rest of my life. But looking back as a senior in college, I still don’t really know what is in store for me after I graduate. And for the first time, I realize that that’s okay. 

In high school, I thought choosing a major was the most important decision. I thought that it was the gateway into what I would be doing for the rest of my life. But I couldn’t choose one thing to do for the rest of my life when I was so interested in many different fields of study. So I finally decided that I would be undecided for my first year of college.  

During my freshman year, I decided to take my time exploring different areas of study I was interested in. I didn’t want to worry too much about trying to fulfill any graduation requirements; I just wanted to see what classes I liked and which ones I didn’t. It was as simple as that. As long as I was somewhat interested in an area of study, I would take a class on it — theater classes, film classes, French classes, chemistry classes, and so much more. It’s amazing how many different areas you can explore in just one year. Eventually, I took an intro to zoology course, which then led me to become a biology major. To this day, I will always credit that course for getting me to where I am now. I didn’t want to settle for something just for money or what my friends were doing. I wanted to major in something I was truly interested in. I was lucky enough to find that during my first year of college, but it may take longer for some people. Even if it does take longer, I would always recommend to new students to take some time exploring. It may be worth it in the end. 

Just because I found a major that suits me the best doesn’t mean I’m tied to it for life. Throughout my time in college, I have learned that your undergraduate degree does not dictate what you do after college. There is still so much flexibility. There always is, no matter what point of life you are in. 

As I said earlier, I’m still not 100% sure what I will do once I graduate. But I’m grateful that I was able to take some time to truly find something I was passionate about studying. Going forward, I still want to explore different options within my field to find something that is a good fit for me. None of our choices are definite in this life, and I think it is important to know we can always change our paths. 

So to any college student, or soon-to-be college students, who may have an undecided major — it’s okay! This is how I found my major and what I learned through my time in college, but it may be different for you. Just do what feels right for you and find what you are passionate about. It may be a difficult journey, but I’ve found that it always seems to work out in the end.

Olivia Vasquez

CU Boulder '23

Olivia is a junior at CU majoring in ecology and evolutionary biology. She enjoys being creative by doing activities such as singing, drawing, painting, and crocheting. When she is not doing these things, she is probably getting overly attached to fictional characters.