Wellness > Mental Health

How to Have Real Human Connections During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

It’s almost impossible to gain new human connections and friendships during a pandemic when social interactions in person are cancelled, I get it. It may seem out of the question, but here’s some tips I have for maintaining and creating real human connections during a pandemic. 

Zoom is your best friend.

Even though Zoom feels like the last thing you want to do after attending classes all day on the platform, Zoom actually works great for virtual happy hours, study sessions, and events. If you realized that you just don’t get something from one of your classes, texting or emailing some people in your class to jump on Zoom and study can sometimes be a huge lifesaver. While helping you academically, you also grow closer to people as they help you and you help them by learning their strengths. I also find that during Zoom study sessions, we tend to go off-topic and get to know each other, which is key for having a real human interaction, be it learning about their Covid-19 experience or their pets or even a simple laugh over a mistake. Take advantage of this platform that we have such easy access to. Watch movies through platforms other than Netflix, play board games, have a happy hour, or simply catch up. 

Attend the virtual events CU and other organizations are throwing.

You may be thinking to yourself, how do I meet someone in a virtual event with over 100 participants? I find it’s way easier to reach out to people virtually rather than in person. Take advantage of reaching out to people who maybe you have a class with, have the same poll answers as you, or that say something about themselves that just resonates with you. Besides getting you out of your rut, virtual events can actually be a great way to meet new people and connect with them. 

Reconnect with distant family or friends.

You know those distant relatives that you only see at family reunions, through home videos, or at weddings? I can assure you that everyone, even that one teenage cousin that acts too cool to spend time with family, could use some social interaction right now. Reaching out to extended family or friends from back home and organizing a FaceTime or phone call can help improve the Covid-19 blues. Do you have an elderly family member who lived through the Spanish Flu, one of the World Wars, or another significant event and wonder what they did to stay positive? Ask to interview them. There are so many amazing stories that can be told by our relatives who lived through similar things or worse and can teach us about gratitude, adaptability and positivity. 

Do something for somebody else.

Sometimes the best way to connect with others is to do something for others. There are so many local nonprofits right now that could use more volunteers (most things can be done virtually, too), or maybe you have a special skill that could brighten someone’s day up. For example, if you love to bake you could make banana bread for your neighbors and roommate(s) or if you’re into art, painting something with hope and handing it to somebody you know that is struggling. Doing something for somebody else is probably the best way to make a real human connection during a pandemic and it also brings joy to your life knowing you impacted another. 

Make time for the important relationships in your life.

College is hard. It’s a time when academics, social interactions, and mental health are out of balance. It’s so important in a pandemic to maintain those important and influential relationships in your life. Set aside at least an hour a day to connect with those people, be it your roommate(s), significant other, parents, or anybody else who has a predominant effect on your life and wellbeing. Introvert, ambivert, or extrovert alike all need their support system to succeed in all aspects of life. 

Hopefully these tips help to reconnect you with loved ones or create new connections to improve your well-being!  Although it may seem impossible, taking the initiative to create those connections could be the difference in your pandemic experience!

Olivia McKeen

CU Boulder '24

Olivia is a contributing writer for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a freshman majoring in Marketing and hoping to get a certificate in social responsibility and ethics. In her free time, she enjoys going on adventures, going on hikes, and hanging out with friends and loved ones.
Sko Buffs!