How Freshman Should Spend Their First Week at CU

Hello there! Who is ready to kick off the fall semester? I know that I am happy just to get back to Boulder. Starting my senior year at CU, I’ve begun to reflect on all the things I did, and I thought it would be a good idea to create a list of my top 10 things freshmen should do within their first week at CU. With social distancing guidelines in mind, I did my best to come up with a variety of things to do, places to eat, and sights to see. Let’s get started!

1. 1. Take a Hike!

There are plenty of hikes all around Boulder and in the neighboring cities. I think a must would be Royal Arch or Flatiron One. If you aren’t a Colorado native, I recommend taking it slow and making sure you have comfortable shoes and plenty of water.

2. 2. Check Out Lost Gulch Lookout

Just a short drive up the winding road of Flagstaff Mountain, you’ll find the pull-off for Lost Gulch Lookout. Be sure to check out the stellar views of campus on the way up! The lookout is an excellent spot for a little picnic or the perfect Instagram-able pictures to make your friends back home a little jealous.

3. 3. Take a walk down Pearl Street Mall.

Pearl Street is the perfect walking mall to grab a bite to eat, a souvenir, and do a little shopping at Free People or Urban Outfitters. I recommend getting dinner at Pasta Jays or BarTaco.

4. 4. Pick your favorite: Boss Lady Pizza or Cosmos.

Now this one may be up for question, but as a new student at CU, you 100% have to weigh in on the debate. I love the diversity of the slices at Boss Lady, but I love the spicy ranch at Cosmos. I also have to add that yes, mac and cheese belongs on pizza. 

5. 5. Go for a swim in the Boulder Creek.

A popular summer hangout spot is along the Boulder Creek. If ice-cold water isn’t your thing, taking a walk along the Boulder Creek Path is just as fun.

6. 6. Brunch at The Buff.

Another Boulder must do: grabbing brunch at The Buff. This Boulder gem not only has some fantastic food, but a super cute iced coffee called the White Buffalo! The perfect spot for breakfast with your new roomies or before mom and dad leave.

7. 7. Take a walk across campus.

While most of us will be online this semester (sad face), it’s important to know your way around campus. Here are a few of my fave places to snap pictures on campus:

1. with the Ralphie statue in front of Folsom Field

2. On the rooftop of the UMC 

3. Anywhere on Farrand Field

8. 8. Have a picnic at Chautauqua Park.

Chautauqua is not only the best place to get an Instagram worthy Flatiron picture, but is also a great place to have a picnic and hang out with friends on warm Boulder days.

9. 9. Get your Village Coffee Shop V-card taken. 

This hole in the wall diner has been in Boulder since 1971. If you go, make sure to tell them you’re a village virgin! Great breakfast and an even better experience.

10. 10. Check out the Boulder Farmers Market.

Open Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings, the farmers market is a great way to check out local farmers and artisans. Check out their Instagram for more information about shopping reservations, vendors, and food trucks.

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you have an excellent time checking out the sights of Boulder and start making memories. Also, please remember to wear a face mask if you are in public places, stay socially distanced, and keep positive. 

Finally, from me to you, Welcome to Boulder and Sko Buffs!