How Does Amendment 64 Affect YOU?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Election day came and went, swinging Colorado blue (only several days after President Obama’s third visit to CU this year), and officially legalizing the use of marijuana for those twenty-one and older in possession of less than one ounce. With a ten percent population win, the recreational possession and cultivation of marijuana is now legal in the state of Colorado if you are of age.

For about half of the students at University of Colorado Boulder, under the age of twenty-one, Amendment 64 does not do anything for you at all. It does not protect you against pre-existing charges; despite Boulder County District Attorney’s decision for drop all marijuana charges of under an ounce for those twenty-one and older, and it does not permit use of marijuana on campus regardless of your age.

CU Boulder police are anticipated to be enforcing these restrictions even more so in the next few months, especially in the dorms, where all residents are bound by contracts to a smoke-free environment. Due to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, CU is unable to comply to legal smoking on campus, in the same ways that alcohol is not allowed to be used and distributed either.

If you do happen to be over twenty-one years old of age, although you will have to take your recreational joints elsewhere, you are legally protected to posses and cultivate a limited amount of marijuana in Colorado. So as Mason Tvert, a Yes of 64 activist would say, “Marijuana: No hangovers. No violence. No carbs!” Party responsibly people, it is still a federally controlled substance, and so if you do ever have over an ounce on you, you can be prosecuted for intent to sell.  

Sources: http://www.colorado.edu/node/1960311

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_21973903?IADID=Search-www.dailycamera.com-www.dailycamera.com

Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.