This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Plants are not only beautiful, but can also help with stress reduction, decreasing symptoms of anxiety and depression, boost your immune system, and help with productivity. Ever since I could remember my family has grown plants throughout our house, but now that I live alone I discovered raising plants is more difficult than you think. But, fear not, because here are five low-maintenance houseplants even the most notorious plant killers can raise. 

1. Bamboo

Bamboo is the perfect plant for all flora fans. Unlike many plants, bamboo can grow hydroponically, meaning just in water, or in soil. Bamboo likes sunlight but doesn’t need to be sitting on a bright windowsill in order to thrive. Similarly, this cane-like plant thrives in 60-70℉, so no need to buy a heat lamp!

1. Christmas Cactus

Another popular house plant is a Christmas cactus, which unlike its desert cacti cousins, blooms in the winter months instead of during warmer, drier seasons. Christmas cacti love lots of humidity and sunlight, so most people keep them in their bathrooms. These plants don’t require much water: they only need to be watered about every two to three weeks. If you love a bright, flowered plant but have a tendency to raise browning greenery, the Christmas cactus is your friend. 

1. Devil’s Ivy

My personal favorite, pothos, or devil’s ivy, also thrives both in water and soil. This extremely low-maintenance plant is also a great way to practice propagation: taking plant cuttings to grow new, separate plants. I highly recommend devil’s ivy to anyone who loves a pop of greenery but is afraid of improperly taking care of plants. 

1. Mother-in-Law’s Tongue

Mother-in-Law’s Tongue, also known as a snake plant, is another low-maintenance and awesome-looking house plant. This fast growing flora grows best in room temperature, indirect sunlight, and only needs to be watered about once a month. According to the plant website, dengarden, mother-in-law’s tongue “thrives on neglect,” so there’s no excuse not to get one. 

1. Happy Bean

The pincushion peperomia, or happy bean, is a fast growing plant that looks like green beans. Perfect for cool Colorado weather, happy beans thrive in about 50℉, like lots of sun, and only need about ½ cup of water a week. My pincushion at home sits in the windowsill and even during the most intense winter months, continues to grow at an incredible rate. 

Houseplant Tips and Tricks

• If the soil is moist, don’t water it. Overwatering is almost as dangerous as underwatering.
  • Hydroponic plants are not only easy to take care of (they literally soak in water 24/7), but the exposed roots are super cool-looking. 
  • Most houseplants require little to no fertilizer, so only use it if absolutely necessary. 
  • Sometimes when branches and vines grow super tall they become heavy and the added weight can cause leaves to tear or stems to break. Fix this by leaning a stem on a wooden chopstick, zip tying a leaf in place, or look into propagation.
  • Make sure to remove any dead leaves or fallen petals to keep the soil clean with plenty of room to grow. 
  • Google is your friend! If you’re not sure how often to water your plant, what temperature to keep it in, or how much sunlight it needs, there are plenty of articles online to help kick start your gardening hobby.  

Sometimes the aesthetic of growing plants is inaccessible because taking care of another living thing is easier said than done. However, with a little bit of research, anyone can become a houseplant expert. If you haven’t already, go to your nearest greenhouse and pick out a plant like the ones on this list which will brighten your space with only a little water and some sunlight.

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.